Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 10:51 PM

a little rain and thousands of slugs

So tonight I had to go and pick up what looked like a plague of slugs. All over the garden a little moisture brought them to the surface. I would not have believed it possible that any eggs had survived after the hot spell. So I was out there with a doggy bag and disposable gloves picking them all up. Very resilient creatures.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 10:56 PM

Re: a little rain and thousands of slugs

Oh yuk!!
I so hate the wretched things!
Annie you're a stoic!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 11:01 PM

I can't even bear to kill them Ruthio. I set them free at the front of the house where then can do no harm to my spuds! I read the the farmer's almanac recommend putting them in a plastic tupperware box and popping them in the freezer to die humanely....eek!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 11:20 PM

I've been praying for rain all day... none arrived. Another hot sticky night with not a breath of air.

Slugs ! No don't like them, but my hedgehogs will and it could save a fortune being spent on mealworms and other delicious goodies for these sweet little animals.
The frogs could also have a feast.
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

28-07-2018, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I can't even bear to kill them Ruthio. I set them free at the front of the house where then can do no harm to my spuds! I read the the farmer's almanac recommend putting them in a plastic tupperware box and popping them in the freezer to die humanely....eek!
I read something once how snails will return to where they were so you need to take them for a long walk

I used to collect them all up every evening and take them up to the local cemetery as I wouldn't kill them either
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Panda ->
I read something once how snails will return to where they were so you need to take them for a long walk

I used to collect them all up every evening and take them up to the local cemetery as I wouldn't kill them either
I hate killing them too panda if I stand on one accidentally I cringe it's that cracking of the shell it just makes me feel so mean. At the moment I throw them over a 7ft wall but I might have to take them walkies as you suggest cause I think they find their way back pretty quickly.
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

28-07-2018, 08:38 AM

Put a little blob of nail polish on their shell and see how quick they get back
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 08:42 AM

Ha! Good idea I might try that ...thanks
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 08:55 AM

Urgh now I daren't go look at my lawn in case i.ve an invasion of slugs,, it's just chucked it down here .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

28-07-2018, 09:05 AM

I will have to try that!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top