Join for free
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2018, 01:28 PM

In the NHS really saving with their cut backs?

I don't think they are, in fact I think they are wasting it!

8 years ago I asked a doctor about ridges in my fingernails & she told me it looked like I was short of Vitamin D, so should take supplements... so I did.

3 to 4 years later, having continued with theses supplements, my nails had not improved so I asked for a blood test and my Vit D was still low. I asked Boots if they had anything stronger and they suggested the higher dose and I have been taking them ever since.

Over the last 3 years I have had to see a doctor on many occasions. My symptoms have been severe bone and muscle pain when I get up, which lasts for up 5 hours, severe tiredness, a few chest infections & generally being bad tempered because I never feel well. The doctors I have seen put this down to normal morning stiffness, lack of sleep and, as I am diabetic they occasionally give me antibiotic for chest infections. It also took 10 months for my broken wrist, last September, to heal.

Last week I had some blood tests fro my diabetes check & when the results came through they told me I had a Vit D deficiency & should take a supplement. I told them I have been taking supplements for 8 years so I needed to see a doctor. It now seems that all my symptoms are a sign of Vit D deficiency so they decided to give me the prescription pills for it.

I have only been taking them for 5 days but my nails are much improved and the pain in the morning is decreasing slightly. I have been given 3 months of these pills then need to go back for another blood test, but I am furious that I have been through years of feeling ill just because they persuaded me that all I needed was supplements from the chemist, rather than them having to give me a prescription.

If I have recovered in 3 months I will be making a complaint because all the cost of seeing doctors over the last 8 years & the medicines prescribed for pain and infections must have cost a lot more that 3 months supply of pills for a Vit D deficiency....... so they have been wasting NHS money because they hadn't read my notes properly!

If I was a one off case I wouldn't be so cross, but I don't think I am, it is just the fact that doctors are told to cut costs & don't have the time to work out the best treatments for patients ( which may be cheaper in the long run!).

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top