Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 07:53 PM

Re: Water Butt

just been having a serious look at joining two gutters together

there is a brown gutter and just below the tiles just about shows a black gutter the other end of which is the water butt.

The vine is staying even though Sue suggest taking it down, The only thing going down is my foot, no way is that going to be chopped

Problem

the brown one goes behind and overlaps the black one and is a bit higher as well. that actually is bonus, but as it slopes the wrong way at the moment that will have to be altered

My thoughts on a solution

First and easiest way was to put a "T" section half way down the brown gutter and an angle and joint piece to connect it all together at the right height.
I had to scrub that idea as they don't make " T" pieces.

Second thought

A bit of head scratching and a possible solution
Take down the brown gutter and fit a right angle section with a small gutter link piece to another right angle piece to hold the two angle sections together. at the opposite end to the picture below

Next raise up the lower end by putting the brackets higher on end and lower the other and hopefully join the whole lot up

By putting the angle section in the other end the whole gutter will have move along a bit. So I can either cut off the end or just put in a stop end

this is the end that needs to be raised and there is plenty of room to do that in and stick a stop end on. the very end is easily seen sloping down. Just needs the brackets repositioned

So eventually if all goes well the gutter feed to the water butt will have over doubled if not trebled in length filling it quicker

All in all not a difficult job I don't think, just a lot of fiddling to get it right
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 05:54 AM

just had another look and that can't be done either the two lengths are too close together
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

09-08-2018, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
just had another look and that can't be done either the two lengths are too close together

i was wrong doing a bit of fiddling and bracket adjustment may just work after all. Just need another 90 degree angle piece.
So made a start but it isn't easy working with the vine in the way, but it ain't coming down

So far I have release the brown gutter, and those clips were hard to release, also fitted one angle piece to its end and added a short section to the other side of the angle.

Next is to measure that short section and cut that " link section" for the other angle piece so it meets up with the black gutter.

I haven't forgotten to measure 3/4 times and cut once

Then it is just a question of removing all the clips that held the brown gutter and re fixing to get the brown gutter to slope the other way

So far discovered they even "bodged" the length of the brown gutter, "how can you not measure a length of gutter correctly". So they put in a through joint and added about 8 inches of another gutter, not even the same colours.

The cockups they made,and it was the previous owners building firm that did the jobs around the house.
Everything they touched the messed up , no wonder his firm went bust.
Just one example below

have you ever seen a carpenters extended wood clamp keep roof supports apart ?

Well now you have. Why not use a bit of timber instead?
I have not done so as when showing people they just can't believe it

The whole place was like school kids let loose who hadn't got a clue.

99 percent I have now fixed, this gutter project is about the last things
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

09-08-2018, 10:46 AM

Ok today got the 2 right angle pieces in to fit,just one more bracket to remove and then reassembly. One bracket was right behind the trellis work and another behind the security lights, about the worst places to get at. One more bracket to remove but it started raining so have had to stop for a time.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

09-08-2018, 08:05 PM

FINISHED

This what the problem was, joining up 2 gutters with right angle corners and redoing bracket clamps

Doesn't look much but it was a good days work in total to get it right. No leaks on the joints so far doing a water test. Time will tell though, just got started and down came the rain so had to hold off for most of the day
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

19-08-2018, 11:33 AM

well after heavy rain this now seems ok and water has filled the butt and now out of the overflow

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top