Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 01:03 PM

Re: Are Storms Getting Worse or is Society more Fragile

Records are very limited before the eighteenth century. But how are we to compare these extreme weather events with those of today and draw the conclusion that man made global warming is to blame. Climate change can not be estimated over a couple of hundred years of monitoring. Extreme weather events have taken place since the beginning of time but as we expand as a human population and spread our net further into the wilds of nature, then these extreme weather events will produce more casualties and cause much more damage to a world increasingly reliant on technology.

The Storm Flood of 1717

In total, about 14,000 people drowned. It was the last large storm flood in the north of the Netherlands. Floodwaters reached the towns and cities of Groningen, Zwolle, Dokkum, Amsterdam, and Haarlem. Many villages near the sea were devastated entirely, such as in the west of Vlieland and villages behind the sea dykes in Groningen Province.

The local communities had to cope with population loss, economic decline, and poverty. No area of the coast between the Netherlands and Denmark was spared. Everywhere, dyke breaches were followed by wide flooding of the flat country. Between Tønder in Slesvig and Emden in East Frisia, about 9,000 people drowned. The Netherlands had 2,500 victims. The worse-affected areas were in the County of Oldenburg, around Jever, Kehdingen, and the principality of East Frisia. Butjadingen lost 30% of its population. In all the affected coastal areas, a large number of cattle were lost. In East Frisia, 900 houses were washed away completely. The damage to dykes and sluices was immense. Survivors remained unaware of the fate of missing family members for a long time. For example, of 284 persons missing from Werdum in East Frisia, only 32 of them had been found by 5 February 1718. The impact of this storm flood in the cold winter time—two days after this flood came hard frost and snowfall—was worsened on the night of 25 or 26 February by another storm flood.

Before the industrial revolution and CO2 pollution...?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
So, what have YOU done about it recently ......
I've already written what we've done.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 03:10 PM

I think its wetter weather now . To me the storms do feel more violent and the amount of rainfall is high.

I dont think we get the freezing bitter winters now . People said the bitterness and cold killed off the nasty bugs , I dont think this happens now .

Last summers heat hitting 30degrees was a shock to our systems we cant seem to handle those temperatures. People sitting in hot sun all day and burning themselves. As for me I was wiped out lying on the sofa

Flooding. Criky tell me about driving through floods, I dont go out much but do once a week to the deep darkest Dorset to visit a friend . Those dark lanes filled with hidden floodwater terrified me .

I think it's all different now
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I've already written what we've done.
You should do more .....

Here's some advice from 3 organisations which I joined many years ago and which I still support:

https://friendsoftheearth.uk/climate...climate-change

https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/take-action/

https://www.wwf.org.uk/get-involved

Walk the walk .....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 03:56 PM

Here are some more documented weather events from the 1700's long before the effects of the industrial revolution were felt....And far worse than anything experienced today...
What can we attribute this to?

https://www.pascalbonenfant.com/18c/...y/weather.html
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 06:35 PM

Just watching the news and due to unusual heavy rains and cyclones in the last couple of years in East Africa, locusts are having the time of their lives. Worst plague for 25 yrs,.. crops are being stripped ,Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania , Somalia.. and they have also crossed over to mentioned Pakistan .
10 million people at risk of famine.
Many travesties can be attributed to weather and we a have few ways to interfere with the laws of nature. When we do, everything seems to hit the fan.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Here are some more documented weather events from the 1700's long before the effects of the industrial revolution were felt....And far worse than anything experienced today...
What can we attribute this to?

https://www.pascalbonenfant.com/18c/...y/weather.html
Correlate them with major polution events such as volcanic scriptions. There's a very close association.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Correlate them with major polution events such as volcanic scriptions. There's a very close association.
Handwriting .....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 02:35 AM

Talking of East Coast Lows - Cyclone Uesi is heading toward NSW and will cause big seas, coastal erosion and heavy rain

We live in interesting times.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 07:41 AM

We have more Global Information now, in the 1700s folks of the Netherlands, and other places knew nothing of Rain Forests, or Ice Sheets, but, that information can be corrupt, of course.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top