Join for free
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 09:34 AM

White is Boring.

Who said that?.....ME!!.

Well,I have changed my mind..my whole house is going back to white.

It has taken me a long time to realise...that IMO,white never dates..colour does...I have started to paint the sitting room....

The room was so dull...the white has lifted it,made it so much brighter...I wonder why it took me so long to see it?

My son commented on how nice it looks.

Do you faff about like me,with paint.....or have you been happy with the colour in your rooms for years?

In other words,how often do you change your decor?
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 09:47 AM

Re: White is Boring.

I don’t re-decorate often, just when a room starts to look a bit grubby or jaded. I don’t change the paint colour - I just re-paint it in the same colour scheme I have right through the house.
Ceilings, cornices and paintwork all Matt white and the walls painted a sort of neutral unbleached cotton colour.
It’s a small bungalow, so sticking to the same light neutral colour scheme and the same neutral flooring throughout makes it seem more spacious and I find neutral colours more restful - I use accessories to add a splash of colour.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Boot ->
I don’t re-decorate often, just when a room starts to look a bit grubby or jaded. I don’t change the paint colour - I just re-paint it in the same colour scheme I have right through the house.
Ceilings, cornices and paintwork all Matt white and the walls painted a sort of neutral unbleached cotton colour.
It’s a small bungalow, so sticking to the same light neutral colour scheme and the same neutral flooring throughout makes it seem more spacious and I find neutral colours more restful - I use accessories to add a splash of colour.

That is exactly how I see it now,Boot,..took me long enough.

I also will add accessories,for that splash of colour...I also find that white,emphasis everything that much more....it brings everything to life.

I think I was stuck in my own time warp of colour...couldn't see my way out of it...until now.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 12:30 PM

We keep ceilings white an the walls a light colour. The lounge can be a bit dark so it's been painted with a paint that has light reflective particles in it ..but it doesn't really work. It's a Dulux matt paint that has the name 'Desert Wind' but I think you can substitute the name with 'Magnolia' just about.

The walls have a fair number of pictures and wall hangings to break the plainness up.

The paint is washable but like other washable paints I've used during in my lifetime, I've never washed it. Does anyone ever wash washable paints?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 02:11 PM

We have just painted the kitchen walls and this time have used the palest of greys (rock salt is the name). It looks like white, but there is a very slight difference between the walls and the white cornice,skirtings and ceilings which I like to see. I like the result, although am a bit wary about using greys in case they look cold. The rest of the downstairs house is in Jasmine white, which is not as rich a colour as magnolia but is paler. The bedrooms are also a very neutral colour which I mixed myself - it's a bit like rock salt, but less grey. Finally, after much work, we have all the walls back to plaster and there is not a bit of wallpaper anywhere. There are so many of these "white" shades to choose from and I find they are so easy to maintain.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 02:36 PM

All our walls and ceilings are white, but then again I have big wooden beams going through them.

I have just painted the Shower room and pale Lemon.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 06:48 PM

Our whole house is white apart from two walls. It doesn't date and colour can be added with paintings and rugs etc.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 07:15 PM

Mostly ours ours is subdued tasteful colours. The entrance hall is......different.

And the upstairs bathroom has a bit of bling....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top