Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 09:36 AM

Modern Cars.

This follows on in a way from Artangel's thread about automatic cars.

Was out for the day with friends yesterday. They have an expensive new car - please, don't ask me what - it is a silver grey metal box with a wheel at each corner. If it were mine - it would drive me insane because - it never stopped arguing!

One long bleeep = too near the curb.
Two short bleeps = too near the white line in the centre of the road.
Three short bleeps = going too fast.

In the car parks it was even worse - it whistled!!

One long whistle = too near the car beside you - not enough room to open your door.

Two long whistles = approaching an obstacle/bollard/another car etc.,

Three long whistles = same as above but moving in reverse.

The windscreen wipers start working at the merest hint of rain. The headlights dip themselves whenever another car approaches.

It doesn't need keys - either to lock it or to start it - and it parrots ' fasten seat belt' until everyone has done!

Surely this cannot be wholly good?

It is taking all the skill out of driving and does little to keep the driver's reflexes working as they should.

What do you think?
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 09:46 AM

Re: Modern Cars.

I think sometimes this new technology is too clever for it's own good.

I'm dreading getting a new car, I just want something that runs on unleaded petrol with 4 wheels and an engine that I can drive from A to B.

I don't want or need a "smart" car
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 09:47 AM

Hi

Never had one ST, but love them.

My hospital driver has a self parking car, amazing thing.

I also love adaptive cruise control, great for long journeys where you have average speed cameras which catch you out.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 10:19 AM

ST, Wait until the electric cars come out next year.
I think we’ve seen nothing yet! They call it progress!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 11:27 AM

I hate the thought of the car doing the driving. If you can't drive a car without going over the white line then you shouldn't be on the road anyway.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 11:40 AM

Just remember one thing: the more bells and whistles a car has, the more there is to go wrong.
Another 'advantage' of modern cars is that they are designed to prevent you getting to the engine or other internals. It is often almost impossible even to change a light bulb.

Above all, steer well clear of any car which is 'keyless'. They are just asking to be stolen by your local lowlifes.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Just remember one thing: the more bells and whistles a car has, the more there is to go wrong.
Another 'advantage' of modern cars is that they are designed to prevent you getting to the engine or other internals. It is often almost impossible even to change a light bulb.

Above all, steer well clear of any car which is 'keyless'. They are just asking to be stolen by your local lowlifes.
I agree. I think car designers and governments ignore these facts when they are trying to push the latest fad. Just imagine what the yobs will get up to when there are electric charging points everywhere.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 12:24 PM

All this technology in cars is just a taste of things to come, it’s all trialling the new tech for the eventual introduction of driverless cars, everything is being tried so it will be foolproof for the car and systems needed to drive cars automatically,
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 12:28 PM

I hate them.....
My cars about ten year old now and I've turned off the wipers that come on when it rains and the headlights that come on when it's dark, like the captain of a ship, I decide when it's time operate stuff.....

I'm not looking forward to buying a new car, which will be probably next year and I'll keep the next one until we are both too old to be let loose on the roads...Don't want any fancy stuff though, if I can't reverse into a space or avoid other cars and pedestrians it's time to quit driving.....But that's a long way off yet....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
All this technology in cars is just a taste of things to come, it’s all trialling the new tech for the eventual introduction of driverless cars, everything is being tried so it will be foolproof for the car and systems needed to drive cars automatically,
I suppose one good thing with driverless cars is that if there's ever an accident you can blame the car!

Perhaps we'll also be able to have a drink and the car will drive us home afterwards, while at the same time we can have a chat on our phones!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top