Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2019, 02:22 PM

Re: TSA padlock

Locks are to keep honest people honest. Crooks will always find a way.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
i don't really know what Bruce is trying to achieve or even prove. Any lock is better than no lock and will stop the casual thief. It also stops the zips from undoing if the baggage is badly handled ,so they do have a purpose
I agree that any lock is better than no lock but in the lock stakes TSA locks are probably the worst choice of all, you'd be as well off using a cable tie (a good, cheap choice btw)

As for achieving or proving anything, perhaps you haven't woken up to this yet but this is a forum, we discuss things, express opinions, debate, challenge... you'll get the idea eventually.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 07:31 AM

If you looked at the photos Bruce you would have seen the locks are part of the bag,
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 12:48 PM

Thanks for today's lesson but I do know what a TSA padlock is and what it is for. I was using them years ago. Can't really see the point of them though, they don't make your luggage any more secure, it just means that someone can legally pry into your belongings.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
If you looked at the photos Bruce you would have seen the locks are part of the bag,
...and? Does that make them any better?

But thanks for showing us your camera bag and enabling the discussion on the benefits or otherwise of TSA locks..
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

30-12-2019, 06:33 AM

This is my personal preferred zip type. This is on my computer case (because it was handy) but my suit cases have a similar if a little sturdier type of zip.

You can choose to put a padlock in the loops if you prefer but personally I just use a cable tie. I sometimes wonder what would happen if customs ever asked me to open it remembering that you are not allowed to carry anything sharp on a plane but that has never happened yet.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020443.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	11328   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020444.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	11329  
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 12:34 PM

I no longer bother with suitcase locks on planes and trains because I do a carry on and have it with me all the time and I don't put anything valuable in.

With a camera it's complicated because I would just not want to let it out of my sight. Anyone can pick it up and break into it if stolen. What they should come up with is cameras that have encryption. I'm sure they do now have that technology for the most expensive. Although they can still take the thing apart and use the lens.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 04:59 PM

Can only laugh at this thread TBH.

Yes, TSA locks are horribly unsafe because any old villain will have the key that simply unlocks the padlock and which overrides the combination.

Having a TSA lock is essentially the same as having no lock at all, just utterly pointless. The ONLY reason you would ever get a suitcase with one is because you are traveling to the USA (or other country that mandates them).

However, my opening statement was made not because of the TSA locks but because of the fundamental foolishness in having any suitcase with a zip.

It matters not one jot what your lock is if you have a zip because if there is a zip then anyone, even a child, can poke a knife blade or stiff pin anywhere into the zip and force it open with consummate ease. As we all have witnessed in the past zips just zip open once they are breached. How many times have you had a jacket unzip at the wrong end?

So understand that if you use zipped cases your are just putting your luggage at risk and ensuring that thieves will favour your case.

The better option is to go for a hard shell "Clam" style case.

These have no zips whatsoever. They shut hard and are secured by latches and locks in multiple places.

In addition you should always strap your cases once packed with strong "seatbelt" style straps, mostly to protect in case of a fall to stop the case splitting open and spilling the contents everywhere.

A strapped hard shell clam case would be ignored by a thief if there are more easy zipped cases with silly locks imo.

Don't scrimp when it comes to buying luggage cases. Expect to pay many £100s for a good set. Don't get tempted by brands like Antler at retail outlets. Order online from very respected brands like Samsonite and Delsey and so on.

Take a look at American Tourister cases (a sub brand of Samsonite) if you are travelling to the USA.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 05:13 PM

Just by way of making people aware of how insecure zipped cases are take a look at the video shown here:

http://www.itluggage.com/feature/Secure-it-24

A simple pen gets them instantly into the case

I'm dubious as to whether the new style zip advertised there is really that much better. It's just a useful vid to show the foolishness of using zipped luggage.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

12-01-2020, 04:23 AM

I nearly forgot.

Here you go Realspeed for a few dollars you can buy a master key for your camera case (and everybody elses), even better you never have to worry about remembering the combination.

Apparently TSA 007 are the most common locks to be provided.

Handy eh?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2020.01.12_14h16m14s_001_.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	11408  

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top