Join for free
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2020, 10:53 PM

Anne with an e

Anyone else watched season 1 and 2 of this Netlix series and looked forward to season 3?

I've just started watching and I'm a bit disappointed with episode 1. I hate when Hollywood sells out history in order to satisfy modern day predilections.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 08:40 AM

Re: Anne with an e

I have been watching this all week it’s very addictive !
I finished the third season yesterday .
I love the characters .
Especially Matthew who I noted was an exceptional horseman so I looked him up and found that he was a stunt rider before he was an actor .
Sadly this poor man took his own life at eighty .
But the series ( I thought ) was well done although I have to say I have not read the book.
Which bit of history did you think was a sell out?
I found it interesting that in Canada there was still prejudice against black people and the native Indians I didn’t think Canada was like that - anyway keep on watching !
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 10:46 AM

I was thinking of reading the books Muddy. I remember them from childhood and I did read Anne of Green Gables, but not the later books.

In terms of the historic context I thought the lesbian/transexual story in season 2 was in particular pandering to current politics rather than being true to the period. In episode 1 season 3 I was not happy with the Mi’kmaw story line as it again seemed to be bordering on what we would like to think happened rather than what is in the original story or attitudes in that period. I have a feeling that it would not have been so easy for Anne to befriend a Mi'kmaw girl in that period. These days yes, but in those times people were far more segregated.

I don't know much about attitudes in Canada in that period because we were never taught Canadian history at school. But I know Canadians and from them I do know that in Western Canada there was a historic prejudice against those from the French side. I am not sure whether that is still the case. Perhaps Canada has had to develop more tolerance as a result of that split?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2020, 09:53 AM

I loved this series, you are right talk about addictive. I'm sad I have watched it all ....I didn't want it to end.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top