Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2020, 03:39 AM

Re: going back to the moon

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Yes, the USA is , in fact, going to do it alone. Friends of the U.S probably will be invited to go along, just as they were invited on the space shuttle. But, this is a U.S.A mission.

Your thoughts about animals going to Mars are hundreds of years into the far future. We must FIRST terraform Mars and make the atmosphere breathable AND only then will we be able to transplant seedlings from earth. But, even before THAT happens we will be cultivating edible crops for our own consumption.

Please go to youtube.com and search "Artemis 1 roll out." and you will see exactly why I am 100% positive about what I say. The first group of Artemis 1 astronauts have recently graduated
I think I an safe in guaranteeing that Artemis will be launched in 2024.
OK thanks. I'll do that.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2020, 04:13 AM

Three things are necessary for life to exist as we know it : a power source, water and organic materials. We already knew that our Sun is the power source. All that was lacking on Mars was liquid water and organic materials. Well, the most recent Martian explorer, CURIOUSITY, weighing in at a huge 2 tons, and vastly more efficient than all other Mars rovers combined, has confirmed the presence of liquid water AND organic materials. This makes our task of establishing a permanent colony on Mars must easier than previously thought.

Imagine this. Married couples are established on Mars. The couples become pregnant. Babies are born. They will, in fact, be true Martians. After all of the science fiction, it turns out that the Martians will be US. Geez, I just love it.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2020, 04:16 AM

While no one is more interested than I am in such ideas. Mars won't be terraformed.Setting aside the scientific barriers of that would prevent creating and maintaining an atmosphere of a habitable pressure, the cost of colonizing Mars, even on a fairly small scale would be short-lived because of mammoth costs.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2020, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
While no one is more interested than I am in such ideas. Mars won't be terraformed.Setting aside the scientific barriers of that would prevent creating and maintaining an atmosphere of a habitable pressure, the cost of colonizing Mars, even on a fairly small scale would be short-lived because of mammoth costs.
Yes, I agree with you about the cost. I am not suggesting that it might happen soon. Likely we are talking about hundreds of years to start terraforming. However, a manned mission to Mars is IMO in the very near future.

Certainly the Artemis 1 program is moving forward even as we speak. I do feel that our children will live to see a permanent settlement on Mars.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2020, 06:47 AM

What a total waste of money and resources that would be better employed sorting out the evils of this benighted planet before even thinking of corrupting another one!
bakerman
Mexico

15-01-2020, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
What a total waste of money and resources that would be better employed sorting out the evils of this benighted planet before even thinking of corrupting another one!
Well, all I can say is that this planet is in deep trouble. We have terrorists trying to kill us, random serial killers running lose, child molesters, drug dealers, and criminals of every sort. I, for one, see absolutely NO HOPE of ever sorting them out. I have long since stopped watching the TV news because it is too depressing to hear that yet another child has been abused and murdered. I just can't take it anymore.

When we do try to something about the ills of this planet, there is no end to the number of people who try their best to stop us from cleaning things up. If I could leave this planet and go somewhere else, I'd be the first in line.

On the other hand, it feels like SOMETHING positive is happening when I read about the new Artemis moon/mars program.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2020, 07:20 AM

Well, all I can say is that this planet is in deep trouble. We have terrorists trying to kill us, random serial killers running lose, child molesters, drug dealers, and criminals of every sort. I, for one, see absolutely NO HOPE of ever sorting them out. I have long since stopped watching the TV news because it is too depressing to hear that yet another child has been abused and murdered. I just can't take it anymore.

When we do try to something about the ills of this planet, there is no end to the number of people who try their best to stop us from cleaning things up. If I could leave this planet and go somewhere else, I'd be the first in line.

On the other hand, it feels like SOMETHING positive is happening when I read about the new Artemis moon/mars program.
I can understand how you feel, Bakerman, and I really wish I could believe things would be different on another planet - but, alas, they would not.
bakerman
Mexico

15-01-2020, 07:48 AM

Geez, I was hoping that I could start a post where there could be mutual excitement and discussion on a positive note. I was wrong !
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2020, 08:30 AM

Were going to need an Ark, at the very least.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2020, 11:36 AM

Geez, I was hoping that I could start a post where there could be mutual excitement and discussion on a positive note. I was wrong !
Hi Bakerman, l have looked at the Artemas project article and it is
inspiring and exciting indeed, and l am sure it will take place as
so much has been accomplished allready, the moon landing will
be completed possibly in my lifetime, l hope so,(l am 84yrs now?)
That will be a return trip! The next phase, to go to mars will follow
after setting up a permant base on the moon before the attempt to
reach mars, which will be a one way trip? All the phases of this
mission have allready been sketched out!
So l hope to see the lunar base completed, and hope no major
disaster occurs to stop this project?
As you say, it is exciting and imaginative and l think it is what being
human is all about! IMO!
Our problems on this planet must be cured on this planet and imo
could mostly be cured by reducing our populations?
Regards Donkeyman!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top