Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 08:42 PM

Has social media created a generation of lazy people?

I often check the facebook page for my local area. I'm not a member but I just like to see what's going on.

Increasingly, I see posts asking silly questions such as 'Can someone tell me if the chip shop is open?' or 'Does anyone have the number for the pizza shop?' or 'Is there anyone who can take my rubbish to the tip?'

I'm up for helping where I can but I do think these people are just being lazy. I mean a quick Google normally gives the opening times of a shop. As for 'Is the chippy open?'.... get off your back side and take a look. You can walk from one end of the town to the other in ten minutes.

Does anyone else view local facebook pages and do you get the same sort of posts?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 08:49 PM

Re: Has social media created a generation of lazy people?

Do you know, Dongle, I was just asked to write a review for something I bought, and after carefully wording what I wanted to say, I typed it all out, went to send it - and couldn't.

It said you have to either sign in to a goodlle account, or send it through Facebook, Instatgram or Twitter!
How stooopid. I don't do any of those and am not likely to either.
I felt quite cross after taking the time to think about it and write, only to have to delete it again.

I seem to be one of the very small number of people who don't 'do' Facebook. It doesn't interest me.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 09:20 PM

Yes it has. It's also dangerous. It removes the responsibility of modifying the way you treat people like you have to do face to face. It has created a kind of alternate universe where manners don't matter. THis site is social media. It's fun most of the time but I cringe at the way people speak to each other sometimes. People call each other and their opinions "Rubbish" and "Bollocks"..etc What ever happened to.."I disagree and here's why". Reasonable criticism is one thing. Like "I think you're drawing a long bow" or "I don't see how you can come to that conclusion". But telling somebody what they think or believe is "garbage" always angers me. And simply saying "I shoot from the hip" , "you're a bit thin skinned" just doesn't cut it IMO. Social media is useful but not when it rules us. And it's not just the latest generation either. It makes everybody lazy. Even the President of the United States.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
yes it has. It's also dangerous. It removes the responsibility of modifying the way you treat people like you have to do face to face. It has created a kind of alternate universe where manners don't matter. This site is social media. It's fun most of the time but i cringe at the way people speak to each other sometimes. People call each other and their opinions "rubbish" and "bollocks"..etc what ever happened to.."i disagree and here's why". Reasonable criticism is one thing. Like "i think you're drawing a long bow" or "i don't see how you can come to that conclusion". But telling somebody what they think or believe is "garbage" always angers me. And simply saying "i shoot from the hip" , "you're a bit thin skinned" just doesn't cut it imo. Social media is useful but not when it rules us. And it's not just the latest generation either. It makes everybody lazy. Even the president of the united states.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 10:43 PM

I disagree.He's always been lazy.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 11:12 PM

Yes it has. It's also dangerous. It removes the responsibility of modifying the way you treat people like you have to do face to face. It has created a kind of alternate universe where manners don't matter. THis site is social media. It's fun most of the time but I cringe at the way people speak to each other sometimes. People call each other and their opinions "Rubbish" and "Bollocks"..etc What ever happened to.."I disagree and here's why". Reasonable criticism is one thing. Like "I think you're drawing a long bow" or "I don't see how you can come to that conclusion". But telling somebody what they think or believe is "garbage" always angers me. And simply saying "I shoot from the hip" , "you're a bit thin skinned" just doesn't cut it IMO. Social media is useful but not when it rules us. And it's not just the latest generation either. It makes everybody lazy. Even the President of the United States.
This is something I have to disagree with and sounds as though the writer doesn't have experience of using FB in a controlled manner.
I "do" Facebook. It keeps me in touch with old friends across the world, who I now see rarely. It keeps me in touch with the local community - if I wish to look at that page. I keep my settings to Friends only and no one else can contact me. Any over-strong language just doesn't happen on my "page". I also "do" Twitter very occasionally to see opinion on current affairs - if you want to witness some foul lanugage and bitter exchanges - that's the one to look for...........but please, don't condemn what you don't know or don't know how to control!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 11:23 PM

Lazy people have always been there, they just needed a catalyst, and that has been provided.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
This is something I have to disagree with and sounds as though the writer doesn't have experience of using FB in a controlled manner.
I "do" Facebook. It keeps me in touch with old friends across the world, who I now see rarely. It keeps me in touch with the local community - if I wish to look at that page. I keep my settings to Friends only and no one else can contact me. Any over-strong language just doesn't happen on my "page". I also "do" Twitter very occasionally to see opinion on current affairs - if you want to witness some foul lanugage and bitter exchanges - that's the one to look for...........but please, don't condemn what you don't know or don't know how to control!
Well I'm glad for you that you have your on line world under such effective control Lindyloo. Your comments have been humbly noted. I appreciate your helpful guidance and I will strive harder to be less pig judgemental and to improve my outlook. And if I reach a higher level of understanding of how the world of social media works I'll have you to thank. I will wait with eager anticipation on any further advice and help you can offer me in my quest for improvement. I was going to try to register for facebook but I couldn't get past the part where it said "press any key" . I couldn't find the "any key". So as you see you have your work cut out for you.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 07:39 AM

Social Media is like any other Human Dilemma, you can carve out a safe haven if you choose, in all the chaos, that is going on around, or, just ignore per se.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 07:48 AM

Well I'm glad for you that you have your on line world under such effective control Lindyloo. Your comments have been humbly noted. I appreciate your helpful guidance and I will strive harder to be less pig judgemental and to improve my outlook. And if I reach a higher level of understanding of how the world of social media works I'll have you to thank. I will wait with eager anticipation on any further advice and help you can offer me in my quest for improvement. I was going to try to register for facebook but I couldn't get past the part where it said "press any key" . I couldn't find the "any key". So as you see you have your work cut out for you.
Just a brief correction Keezoy: Facebook is no more an online world than this forum is, and the amount of time and posts YOU make on YOUR online world is far greater than mine!! Also be aware that responding with barbs, insults or sarcasm would be instantly deleted on "my" facebook page but in this "online world" I am more than ready to respond like with like but as you're a poor colonial with a dubious history and very obviously a judgemental pig, I'll stick to my superior British upbringing and try not to feel sorry for you!

Just one final word of advice: Some of these odd, sarcy Aussie comments (are they jokes or are they insults?.........perhaps there's no difference in the online world of Oz!) are ambiguous, hence my very moderate response!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top