Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 12:13 PM

Please Help Me Get To The Bottom Of This!

Hello folks.

Some of you may know that in late June of this year I was in the Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital having a dissecting aortic aneurysm repaired, along with the replacement of my aortic heart valve.
I was 11 hours under the knife, and it was nearly 48 hours before I woke up following the operation.

Then last month I was in Glan Clwd Hospital in North Wales having a biopsy taken deep inside my willie into my bladder , because cancer was suspected. Thankfully, that came back all clear.

But now I face my biggest challenge.
Because I have had some blood in my dung, I was sent to Glan Cwyd Hospital by my Doctor.

The consultant pushed his finger up my rear end, (blimey, am I glad I am not gay or what)!
and said later...

O.K. Mr. Thain, we will have to have you come back in so we can give you an enema procedure, which will then be followed by a camera up inside so we can see whether or not there is anything nasty going on.

I will send you out an appointment to have that procedure done ASAP.

Please help me get to the bottom of this.
Has anyone here had a similar procedure, and if you did, was it 'orrible and painful.
After all, I don't think they put you out for it, do they?

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 12:21 PM

Re: Please Help Me Get To The Bottom Of This!

My husband said it wasn't something he would volunteer for everyday but it wasn't as bad as he expected. The worst bit was the tremendous wind he suffered with on the way home he said he was glad he didn't go on the bus or the embarrassment may have killed him. He was fine BTW I think they do this as an easy way to check things so more people are perfectly fine than not.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 12:22 PM

Commiserations with your plight. Mrs Dobra has had this done twice under light anesthetic with no problems. The second was a check-up. fear not young man they are very gentle, but you must get a lift home. Best of luck!!
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 12:25 PM

That's a bummer Kenny.

You've been through such a lot this year but so pleased you've come through it all.

I haven't had that procedure so unable to give an answer to your question but I hope it's not as bad as you imagine. Rather you than me though.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 12:26 PM

I'm assuming the doctors are talking about you having a colonoscopy, BC?

My husband has had this procedure twice due to loss of blood through the rectum. He was given a sedation beforehand. He said it was uncomfortable but not really painfully .... except at the end when you have to expel all the wind when the procedure has ended.

Not to worry you but here is a video explaining the procedure .... which I must add, may or may not be what you will have.

http://www.nhs.uk/video/Pages/Colonoscopy.aspx

Good luck anyway.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 12:29 PM

The worst part is the laxative procedure the day before, it is called Picolax and best advice is don't stray too far from the loo..
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 12:31 PM

My advice is to enquire about the anaesthetic before You go and get Your Wife to drive You Home,,,shouldn't be painful..unless of course You have piles...and I don't mean money....;~)
Skye
Uk
Skye is female 

22-11-2015, 12:32 PM

The procedure seems to vary between hospital to hospital, or to sympathetic doctor. I had a horrendous experience, whereas my hubby can't even remember it.

I had to drink four litres of Klean Prep the day before. Stay near the toilet! Cheaper than colonic irrigation

Tell them you want plenty of medazolam, in enough time before the procedure itself takes place.

Good luck, and it's for the best.

You should get a diagnosis there and then
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I'm assuming the doctors are talking about you having a colonoscopy, BC?

My husband has had this procedure twice due to loss of blood through the rectum. He was given a sedation beforehand. He said it was uncomfortable but not really painfully .... except at the end when you have to expel all the wind when the procedure has ended.

Not to worry you but here is a video explaining the procedure .... which I must add, may or may not be what you will have.

http://www.nhs.uk/video/Pages/Colonoscopy.aspx

Good luck anyway.
Thank you all for what you say there folks.
For you to take the time out to respond, that is very much appreciated.

Yes Mags, thank you for the link, and I am pretty sure that is what I shall be having.
As I mentioned in my post I have already had a cystoscopy to examine my bladder for anything nasty.
This was due to my having blood in my urine, not helped by an enlarged prostate.
Thankfully I came out of that with them finding nothing cancerous.

Obviously I am rather anxious that they won't find anything wrong in the back side.
I had a dear uncle who died of bowel cancer, and it wasn't a very nice way to go.

The problem is of course, that the older you are there are more and more health issues that are out to 'get you'. Well if I have my way, nothing will 'get me' just yet!
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
The worst part is the laxative procedure the day before, it is called Picolax and best advice is don't stray too far from the loo..
Yes that is the worst part and the 3 day diet before hand, especially when they say don't eat any fruit or vegetables and I am vegetarian !!!

The first laxative and 3 day diet didn't work, they gave me one that equated to 16 glasses of liquid in 4 hours which I threw up after the 12th glass then at a later date I had it all to go through again but with Picolax 2 glasses one in the morning one 4 in the afternoon.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top