Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2010, 08:09 PM

Re: The Jeep I restored last year

Originally Posted by nero ->
I split apart the ECU and saw 3 dry solder joints on the circuit board . . . 3 dabs with the soldering iron did the trick apparently . . she ran great last night . . .
Well done Denis, I always thought the manufacturers made these ECU's so that you could not get inside them, but they obviously didn't reckon on the determination and ingenuity of your good self

I'm glad Barbie is up and running again and with a new coat of paint I bet she looks wonderful.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2010, 07:53 AM

Been putting her through her paces since the soldering repair . . she's going great . . had the top down last week with the dogs in the back, chained to the rear roll bar of course . . I'm the talk of the town . . the dogs love it in the hot weather.

Spent the last week in the scrap yard removing various parts off a Jeep the same as mine . . . after a hard day under a scorching sun last Friday I stood looking at the Jeep in the scrap yard and thought I'd be better buying the whole thing . . . I've removed all the steering linkage and various other parts including the fuel pump the last two weeks. . anyways, I spoke to the guy and asked how much he wanted for the whole motor . . we came to a price and he said he would move the Jeep inside his massive warehouse . . this means I can go any time I wish and remove all I wish without having to pay for everything at each visit . . . the only thing I cannot have is the complete body shell, DVLC have been notified the motor's been scrapped . . . so it'll be head down and arse up for me in that warehouse for the rest of this year methinks.

The engine in the scrap one has only done 60,000 miles . . . Barbie has done over 100,000 miles so it's a real bargain eh . . . the guy will deliver the complete engine and transmission for me when I get it out . . . this will be the last project for me . . I'm 68 next month and I need to make way for a younger man methinks.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2010, 02:59 PM

You have been working hard, Nero - you must get a lot of satisfaction out of restoring Barbie too.

Would love to see a pic of your gang perched in the back when you next take them out
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
I spoke to the guy and asked how much he wanted for the whole motor . . we came to a price and he said he would move the Jeep inside his massive warehouse . . this means I can go any time I wish and remove all I wish without having to pay for everything at each visit . . . the only thing I cannot have is the complete body shell, DVLC have been notified the motor's been scrapped . . . so it'll be head down and arse up for me in that warehouse for the rest of this year methinks.
.................................................. .................................................. .... this will be the last project for me . . I'm 68 next month and I need to make way for a younger man methinks.
Wow Denis getting the whole motor sounds like a brill idea and if my memory is correct there's not many 'scrappies' who would do that, they generally like to sell individual parts as it's more profitable for them.

Also I would not contemplate doing some of the jobs you've done even at 48 when I was restoring a Scimitar GTE and I only did the 'top' half of the engine, electrics, and interior, I left all the mucky underneath bits to others
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2010, 08:02 PM

Beautiful job on both Denis. You are a Picasso with tools
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2011, 04:29 PM

She passed her MOT this morning and the emission figures were outstanding for a motor that's 20 years old and done 120,000 miles . . . the hydrocarbon figures were 14 . . .she's allowed 1200 before a failure . . . the hydrocarbon figures indicate the amount of oil an engine uses, if the engine's badly worn these figures are high, we've all seen smokey exhausts eh.

The CO figures were well within a pass too, so all in all she's got a bit of life yet doncha think.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2011, 04:36 PM

Yes I do.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2011, 05:30 PM

I missed this till now Denis, not being a driver, by God man you did a fabulous job, you are truly gifted. Don't understand all the mechanical jargon but congrats on the MOT.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2011, 05:50 PM

I owned several Fourtraks which were great for towing trailers for my business, but never owned the Sportrack. It really is an impressive refurb job Denis, and still going strong..it must be invaluable up there in the frozen wasteland....
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2011, 07:01 PM

Send us a picture Nero please.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top