Join for free
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2010, 01:41 PM

How many have been damaged by religion?

I realise this is a sensitive topic, but it is one I would like to air.

I was brought up in a Christian fundamentalist home where it was believed only the so called 'saved'/'born again' would go to heaven, the rest would burn in hell. My sadistic paternal grandmother took great pleasure in describing the tortures of hell to me from the age of two years old! As a consequence I had terrible nightmares throughout my childhood. I was quite devout for a while during my teenage years but it soon disappeared thank goodness, as soon as I started really questioning that belief system and realised to me it was really nonsense. I now consider myself an agnostic. My husband, also devout during his youth, is a convinced atheist.

We think children should NEVER be pressured into accepting their the beliefs, or lack of them, of their parents, so allowed our kids to decide for themselves. They all opted to attend church and Sunday School! The eldest girl is a vicar, not a fundamentalist thank goodness!

I have no problem with those whose faith is moderate, it is fundamentalists who force their views on people, especially children and the vulnerable with dire threats if they don't convert, I think that is abuse.
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2010, 04:31 PM

Re: How many have been damaged by religion?

Perhaps Dancingsky, you have not been; “damaged by religion” - but sadly and deplorably damaged by people - (and worse, family members)!

People/parents can have enormous impact on the life of a child. All manner of things relating to life can be abusively defaced by the actions and attitude of people. For instance some adults have difficulty trusting in love, or their concept of love is deformed by appalling treatment during their childhood.

For myself, I would not actually say “religious” - for religion is man-made to suit with set requirements. I believe in Jesus, the Son of God. When I say “not religious” I am hopefully expressing that it is not the system of religion that affects me, but my relationship with Jesus. (The Pharisees were deeply religious, but so proud of their knowledge, leadership and power that they were blinded and did not see, or indeed want to see the Son of God before their eyes).

For interest, I was not raised in a Church going family, neither did I attend Sunday School. My personal journey of discovery of Christ was gradual.

Rainbow
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2010, 05:55 PM

I was brought up to be a Christian! My Mum was a Catholic and my Dad a Protestant. Mum took his religion when they married. There was never any bigotry in our family - I had loads of Catholic friends and would go with them to their church on Sunday nights, after attending my own during the day and I was a Sunday school teacher After going to Mass with my friends, we would go to the dancing in the Catholic church hall - they were great and I always had a great time.

At other times, they would come to my church and sometimes we would go to Bible Class, which wasn't really a Bible class - we had music and all the pop music of the day would be played!!

I can't stand anyone who knocks others religion - each to their own. Too many wars have been caused by religion!
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rainbow ->
Perhaps Dancingsky, you have not been; “damaged by religion” - but sadly and deplorably damaged by people - (and worse, family members)!

People/parents can have enormous impact on the life of a child. All manner of things relating to life can be abusively defaced by the actions and attitude of people. For instance some adults have difficulty trusting in love, or their concept of love is deformed by appalling treatment during their childhood.

For myself, I would not actually say “religious” - for religion is man-made to suit with set requirements. I believe in Jesus, the Son of God. When I say “not religious” I am hopefully expressing that it is not the system of religion that affects me, but my relationship with Jesus. (The Pharisees were deeply religious, but so proud of their knowledge, leadership and power that they were blinded and did not see, or indeed want to see the Son of God before their eyes).

For interest, I was not raised in a Church going family, neither did I attend Sunday School. My personal journey of discovery of Christ was gradual.

Rainbow
I appreciate your version of the Christian religion is important to you.

Christianity has spawned myriads of sects, cults, dogmas and doctrines, each no doubt thinks they have 'the truth'. I wonder if we would ever have heard of Jesus if St Paul hadn't been such a prolific letter writer? Somehow I doubt it.

I read the Bible (NIV) daily to see if I have missed anything. Jesus comes over as a very human guy with faults and failings just like the rest of us. The more I read that book the more convinced I am it is just a collection of thoughts by the authors, some more intelligently put than others, but definitely NO divine input. The Biblical God character isn't at all pleasant, imo.

However it is wrapped up, the evangelical idea that you have to be 'saved' to go to heaven isn't very fair or just. The idea that you can make a deathbed conversion and toddle into heaven, even if you have been very bad in this life, yet an atheist who has led a good life and helped others long the way, is consigned to hell is an evil nonsense, imo.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2010, 06:12 PM

Religion never hurt me-well going to Sunday school was a pain. My late Uncle John was a Baptist Minister and his and Aunt June`s home was always busy but always a place of peace and genuine love.

My late Uncle Ron was a Methodist Chapel warden and a peeping tom(this was never mentioned )

Each to their own but faith should not be confused with bigotry and madness.

PS I won the first form prize at big school for Divinity
Dancingsky
None

21-10-2010, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
Religion never hurt me-well going to Sunday school was a pain. My late Uncle John was a Baptist Minister and his and Aunt June`s home was always busy but always a place of peace and genuine love.

My late Uncle Ron was a Methodist Chapel warden and a peeping tom(this was never mentioned )

Each to their own but faith should not be confused with bigotry and madness.

PS I won the first form prize at big school for Divinity

I got the RE prize every year of my secondary school education!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top