Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2020, 05:37 AM

Re: When Out And About, Do You Ever Meet Unusual People?

Everyone is a book, Artangel, and that sounds like quite a character you met. I adopted the phrase "single serving friend" (from a movie that I detest) to describe people who unfurl their lives to you in the time that it takes to eat a sandwich. The last single serving friend I met was doing research on orangutans in Papua New Guinea rainforests. Holy cow, he was amazing!

Some are a little off, but they hang in your mind, don't they?
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2020, 11:08 AM

As a London licensed taxi driver for 45 years, (retired). I had many strange people in the cab. Now-days in conversation I am asked about the famous people that I picked up.
The first was Tommy Steel, and the last was Nigel Havers, and many hundreds in between.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2020, 11:45 AM

I think I may be one of those unusual people that you meet.
Heaven knows it's been a long strange trip.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2020, 01:49 PM

I do like unusual people. I know where they're coming from.
"Normal" is very boring.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2020, 04:05 PM

We walk a lot. Mostly we meet other dog walkers and usually they are very sociable.
But, one time I encountered a guy who was well, the reverse.
Abusive. Told me to get my dog under control. Not that Max, our dog, was doing anything. In fact, my neighbour, not a dog lover, has more than once said that Max is the most under control dog he has ever met.

Well, I took a photograph of Max lying quietly. The guy thought he might have been in the frame and demanded that I delete it. Made me wonder what he wanted to hide.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2020, 07:12 PM

Cinderella, l have just googled him. He was a character and how nice to be remembered by so many.
I suppose, many of us are ‘no marks’, we die and leave no impression or lasting memories to the masses.

An unusual character, a real gent. You could hear him on his rounds he would sing out:

"Samphire long and green samphire, Any samphire you ladies you neighbours Saaaaamphire......

He picked the samphire off the marsh, and measured it out in a large saucepan or pint beer mug.

His horse was called Charlie, who caused him to break his hip
after being pushed over while grooming him. People still remember him.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2020, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
We walk a lot. Mostly we meet other dog walkers and usually they are very sociable.
But, one time I encountered a guy who was well, the reverse.
Abusive. Told me to get my dog under control. Not that Max, our dog, was doing anything. In fact, my neighbour, not a dog lover, has more than once said that Max is the most under control dog he has ever met.

Well, I took a photograph of Max lying quietly. The guy thought he might have been in the frame and demanded that I delete it. Made me wonder what he wanted to hide.
Creepy weird.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

12-01-2020, 08:21 PM

This man was seen regularly in Norwich.

Occasionally, we would have a brief chat if stuck in the traffic on the ring road.

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news...gold-1-4068620

Paul Wilson: “I remember back in the early 1990s, stationed at RAF Coltishall and being in charge of the flight line at the time, the lads on the flight line used marigold gloves instead of the normal marshaling wands as a gesture to Marigold who was seen daily on the roundabout by many RAF personnel travelling to work, he was often in the local papers at the time.” Jayne Hilton: “I remember this lovely man, always made me smile. In a mad world he brought smiles,may he rest in peace.”
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2020, 08:37 PM

I cant remember if I have told this story before but here goes

A few years ago I attended a series of lectures about Ruth Ellis the last woman to be hanged in the UK..

For each lecture I sat in a seat at the end of a row and a lady in a wheel chair always came in at the last minute and parked to the side of me.... eventually we got chatting and she used to whisper in my ear correcting what she thought were inaccuracies in the lecture...

She loved to chat and each time we met she revealed a bit more about her life but not until the last lecture did she tell me why she was so knowledgeable she revealed she had been Albert Pierpoints mistress for many years right up to his death in 1955.....she told me of the hundreds of people he had dealt with the only one he had sleepless nights about was Ruth Ellis and he felt she was dealt with unfairly.

I often think about her now she had obviously had quite a life.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

12-01-2020, 08:50 PM

How fascinating, and a shock to you I imagine.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top