Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2020, 04:49 AM

Re: Car servicing and MoT

I registered my car a few days ago and after paying my Compulsory Third Party insurance (CTP) it occurred to me to check on the RMS web site that the rego had been renewed (free for pensioners).

The rego had not been renewed because my car was now 5 years old (I hadn't realised it was that old) and had to have a rego inspection (like the MOT). I drove up to a local garage to see if they still did this, the bloke was very nice asked if I could leave it for an hour and he would get it done as I was only a block from my home I was quite happy to do that.

The eSafety Check says it cost $42 but he only charged me $40 - I don't know how that works.

I checked on the RTA web site half an hour later and the vehicle was registered for another year. Job done.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rego Inspect.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	13070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rego Cert.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	13072  
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2020, 07:20 AM

Hi

We have had an MOT Holiday, which ends on !st August, so there will be a rush on.

No MOT invalidates your Insurance.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2020, 09:42 AM

We had our car MOT’d along with a service two weeks ago as the Insurance was due...
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2020, 10:22 AM

How the 6-month extension works

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...-30-march-2020

Your vehicle’s MOT expiry date will be automatically extended by 6 months if it’s eligible. This will be done about 7 days before it’s due to expire.

This means that:
  • your vehicle will still have a valid MOT certificate for an extra 6 months
  • you can still tax your vehicle - you might need to wait to do this until later in the month if both your MOT and vehicle tax run out this month
  • your insurance will still be valid
  • your vehicle’s record will be updated so the police can see you have a valid MOT

You will not get a new paper MOT certificate with the new expiry date on it.

Published 25 March 2020
Last updated 29 June 2020
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 01:41 PM

our garage was giving a free mot if you got a service at the same time,so job done and taxed last weekend....ok for another year fingers crossed
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 02:05 PM

My MOT is due 23 July - I know the 6mths extension applies, but feel I don't want to wait.
I always have a service at the same time as the MOT and July is a better month financially .
Every month after July is house/car insurances, C/H service, birthdays etc - ie financially crap!

If I did take advantage of the extension, I'm assuming the MOT would be from the extended time month rather than this July?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
My MOT is due 23 July - I know the 6mths extension applies, but feel I don't want to wait.
I always have a service at the same time as the MOT and July is a better month financially .
Every month after July is house/car insurances, C/H service, birthdays etc - ie financially crap!

If I did take advantage of the extension, I'm assuming the MOT would be from the extended time month rather than this July?
IMO, the MoT would be valid from the date of the test, whenever that is, so if you have your car tested now then it will be July, regardless of your eligibility for an extension.

However, check with your garage first.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
IMO, the MoT would be valid from the date of the test, whenever that is, so if you have your car tested now then it will be July, regardless of your eligibility for an extension.

However, check with your garage first.

Yes Omah, that's what I assumed. Seems the logical thing doesn't it, but these days....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Yes Omah, that's what I assumed. Seems the logical thing doesn't it, but these days....

Hi

You are correct.

It starts from the date of your new MOT.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

03-07-2020, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

You are correct.

It starts from the date of your new MOT.

Merci bucket Swimmy

July it is then.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top