Join for free
Page 2 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 10:09 AM

Re: Bike ride

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
E-bikes. Been there done that. But mine were from kits that you add to the normal ATB. Curry kits they were. The only problem was they were sealed lead acid batteries and that made it heavy. No need for a pedal start, just press the button. No cutout on the brake ether.
Is the speed limited on that kit?

The battery on my e-bike is lightweight and part of the frame. The overall weight of the bike is still fairly heavy though.

It's got a 'walk' mode that I've never used. Push the button and the bike rolls along at a slow pace. That could be quite handy if walking the bike home with a flat tyre (for instance).

The bike can still have exercise value. It just depends on the amount of assistance it's given (there are 4 levels). It can be ridden without any assistance at all because it still has the standard gears on the rear wheel. The motor is in the crank. It's not bad to ride without assistance but it takes a bit more effort to get up to speed than an ordinary bike.

I may go out again on it later today.

Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 11:08 AM

There was no speed limited on this kit. If I remember I could get up to 20mph on the straight.
I should add that kit is not on the bike now, as the battery died and was not going to replace them as I did not use it that much.
I know it’s not the same, but I had a go on my neighbours e-scooter. Very nice with lots of info on the box on the handlebars. Top speed 18mph. Range? Debatable.
I have a e-scooter that I got for free. It was in a state and the wiring was chewed up. But I got it sorted. Belt drive but can’t get the original belt USA. So Halford was my friend with a fan belt.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	659CC212-C583-4D1B-816C-CF7270961B0D.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	12906  
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2020, 02:49 PM

I went out on the e-bike last week and after riding up a long draggy hill on the road, decided to go off-road onto a bumpy old track we used to ride. Partway along, the wheel slipped into a small gully and I fell off! At least nobody saw me.

Today I rode the same route on my Claud Butler ordinary bike. It was much harder work of course but I didn't fall off.

The e-bike has smooth tyres on 28" wheels. The Claud Butler has treaded tyres on 26" wheels. Maybe that's why I didn't fall off ..or perhaps it's because I was more careful having fallen off the first time.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2020, 04:21 PM

I have a mountain bike I keep meaning to change it for a sit up and beg but can’t be bothered .
It’s ok .
The other exercise is the dog .
He’s a full of energy border collie and makes us go for walks everyday .
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

24-06-2020, 02:14 PM

I saw a woman riding a bike that had a dog lead on it. Near as I could make out, the lead was attached to a fairly long flexible pole that was fixed to the handlebars. The pole kept the dog away from the bike's wheels and because it could swivel from side to side, the dog could go either side of the bike.

The rider and the dog seemed to have got the measure of the contraption quite well.

I was going out on the ordinary bike today but I had to wait and get the washing out on the line. It was too late to go out by then. The day had warmed up too much. That's my excuse for not going anyway.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

25-06-2020, 11:52 AM

I did 5.15 miles today. It was the same route as the last couple of times but I used the phone to measure the distance this time. I had to stop to mop my brow halfway up the hill and wondered if I ought to cut the ride short. Then determination set in, so onwards and upwards.

It's a dodgy hill to ride up. All bends and fast cars coming up from behind. It all becomes worth it when at the top of the hill and then going off-road. The track was quite picturesque today with all the shades of green, the trees and the dappled sunlight. Glad I made the effort.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

29-06-2020, 03:12 PM

I cycled about the same distance today on the ordinary bike but all on the road. I thought it was too windy to tackle the route with the long draggy hill in it.

This is all in aid of wanting to cycle to the hospital on Thursday but not on the e-bike. I reckon this would be too much of a target for theft. Having said that, the Claud Butler ordinary bike isn't a bad one either.

Bicycle theft is always a worry. If it does get nicked, at least I'll be fit enough to walk home with all the riding that's been done.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

03-07-2020, 11:57 AM

I rode the route again that takes me up the long draggy hill and along the off-road path. My legs were like jelly when I got home. I think I'll give that hill the nickname of 'Heart Attack Hill' because, when riding up, it feels as if one is going to happen at any moment. We used to ride an off-road hill that my brother gave that name to. We don't ride there any more though, so maybe I can transfer the name.

Such a relief to make the top and then go off-road..

mart
Chatterbox
South of England

16-07-2020, 05:28 PM

I rode a little over 10 miles on the ordinary bike today (as opposed to the e-bike). It's been over 3 years since I rode the route I did. Not done it since my brother/co-cyclist became unwell. We always did that ride together, so it was almost a sentimental journey.

I thought I'd find it hard to cycle 10 miles because it's been a while but it wasn't as exhausting as I thought it would be.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 07:36 AM

Good on you mart, moved my bike to the side of the house in preparation, was thinking of an E Bike, but, that is a big decision, bit like the decision to move from a conventional House to a Bungalow.

Page 2 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top