Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 10:54 AM

HS2 Bandwagon Rolling !!

The HS2 company appears to be spending as much money as is
possible since Boris gave the go ahead earlier this year ??
Could this haste be so that once so much has been spent it will
be impossible to cancel if circumstances change ??
Imo giving the go ahead was a big mistake given the fact we are
leaving the EU and that crossrail has not and will not be completed
yet, l believe it needs another billion and is struggling to get it !
It makes no sense to starve an incompleted project of funds whilst
ploughing tens of billions into a new project which at best is
unlikely to break even ??
Now we have the virus throwing a spanner in the works as well
I think its time for a rethink if it is not too late allready ??

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 11:08 AM

Re: HS2 Bandwagon Rolling !!

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
The HS2 company appears to be spending as much money as is
possible since Boris gave the go ahead earlier this year ??
Could this haste be so that once so much has been spent it will
be impossible to cancel if circumstances change ??
Imo giving the go ahead was a big mistake given the fact we are
leaving the EU and that crossrail has not and will not be completed
yet, l believe it needs another billion and is struggling to get it !
It makes no sense to starve an incompleted project of funds whilst
ploughing tens of billions into a new project which at best is
unlikely to break even ??
Now we have the virus throwing a spanner in the works as well
I think its time for a rethink if it is not too late allready ??

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
I have keenly followed this project since it was first mentioned, but I am still unable to find enough reasons to justify so much expenditure on a project that will reduce the travelling time by a maximum of twenty minutes for the few who will be able to afford the fares.
With the trend for homeworking, I do have to ask how many will actually need this service or want it?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 11:13 AM

Indeed. Given that many companies are likely to continue to adapt their communication methods to incorporate more online facilities, one has to wonder whether the original parameters for HS2 still exist.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
I have keenly followed this project since it was first mentioned, but I am still unable to find enough reasons to justify so much expenditure on a project that will reduce the travelling time by a maximum of twenty minutes for the few who will be able to afford the fares.
With the trend for homeworking, I do have to ask how many will actually need this service or want it?
I am with you on that long driver !
It is my belief that giving the go ahead was Boris's biggest mistake
and he should pull the plug NOW !! FINISH crossrail allthough its
overdue and over budget as it is useless unless completed !
We run the high risk of HS2 going the same way too !!

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 11:24 AM

IMHO the money would have been far better spent reopening several branch lines (either with heavy rolling stock or trams) and improving existing ones.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

07-09-2020, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Indeed. Given that many companies are likely to continue to adapt their communication methods to incorporate more online facilities, one has to wonder whether the original parameters for HS2 still exist.
I had doubts about the original parameters too Dex ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 11:46 AM

Not so much a white elephant, but a whole bloody herd of 'em !
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 11:53 AM

I am with you all on the views you have expressed. HS2 will be a waste of our money & I can't believe it will be an asset to us at all. I can't believe our government want to carry on with it. How can we afford to do this with all the expenditure from Covid19 & other expenses.
So much land destroyed, so many SSSI's damaged beyond repair, so many villages split in half & houses demolished. It's criminal.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 01:54 PM

I agree with what has been said.

HS2 is a complete waste of money.
Few people will use it. For the sake of 20 minutes, who is going to pay what are bound to be ridiculously high charges which will be imposed for both the cost of running the trains and in an attempt to recoup a small fraction of the cost of building the thing?

Nevertheless, as I have said before, I don't think it will be cancelled just yet. People would have to admit to being wrong, and politicians really don't like that. So one of two things will happen.

Either they will continue the project, spending many more millions than that already projected as the cost. It will be hardly used at all and will eventually be either run at a loss or scrapped altogether. What a waste.

Alternatively, money will continue to be wasted for a few more years and then the project will be scrapped. Perhaps another 30 or 40 billion will be spent, including paying restitution to people who have been affected by it, then they'll call it quits.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

07-09-2020, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree with what has been said.

HS2 is a complete waste of money.
Few people will use it. For the sake of 20 minutes, who is going to pay what are bound to be ridiculously high charges which will be imposed for both the cost of running the trains and in an attempt to recoup a small fraction of the cost of building the thing?

Nevertheless, as I have said before, I don't think it will be cancelled just yet. People would have to admit to being wrong, and politicians really don't like that. So one of two things will happen.

Either they will continue the project, spending many more millions than that already projected as the cost. It will be hardly used at all and will eventually be either run at a loss or scrapped altogether. What a waste.

Alternatively, money will continue to be wasted for a few more years and then the project will be scrapped. Perhaps another 30 or 40 billion will be spent, including paying restitution to people who have been affected by it, then they'll call it quits.

There is another alternative JBR, stop at Birmingham, and cancel
all proposed spending further north ? This is not good as that is where
the improvements need to be ! But l believe we have allready spent
too much on the Brum section now to stop it completely much as l
would like to.l have seen an article saying that HS2 company has
allready proposed to now continue the line up into scotland ???
I think we will be lucky if we can get them to halt at Birmingham
and spend the money saved fixing up the existing system up north??
Why are politicians so dense ???

Donkeyman! 👎👎😟😟👎👎

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top