Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 12:17 PM

Success or Failure

I was listening to something on the radio yesterday, and they were discussing what they thought meant 'success.'

A question asked was - "Do you think we learn more by success, or failure?"

I found that quite difficult to answer.
What do you think?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 12:20 PM

Re: Success or Failure

I thought we learned more from our mistakes?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I was listening to something on the radio yesterday, and they were discussing what they thought meant 'success.'

What do you think?
Learn more about what Mupsy?
From a running point of view, I think success and failure can contribute to a better performance next time. I would consider a faster marathon time to be a success...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
What mistakes Arty?
No such thing as mistakes! Just miscalculations....
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 12:25 PM

I read somewhere that motivation is "the homeostatic imbalance between the ego and the id"...you can make of that what you will but I translate it to a simplistic "motivation is the slope between where you are and where you want to be".

Suspect that it's feasable to create a similar rule of thumb involving "success" and "failure". Look forward to reading your suggestions.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

What do you think?
Originally Posted by Artangel ->
That is my feeling too, I tend to think you don't learn much from your successes other than they are the result of many missteps or trial and error.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 12:49 PM

I am, more and more, convinced that success is all about luck (with a little nous thrown in - otherwise we wouldn't be able to use the luck!)

If you're born into a good family, with the chance for good schooling, good jobs, good medical, high safety standards, that's where you get the big "Success" started.

If you are born into some XXX forsaken place, where none of the above is available, that's where "failure" gets a hold.

Soon there will be walls everywhere, otherwise the unlucky might get lucky.

Changing times!
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 03:13 PM

I think our successes are rewards for acknowledging our failures.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That is my feeling too, I tend to think you don't learn much from your successes other than they are the result of many missteps or trial and error.
Agreed. To my mind, too many successes lead to stagnation. Learning from your failures in life/job/whatever brings improvement to all in your life.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I am, more and more, convinced that success is all about luck (with a little nous thrown in - otherwise we wouldn't be able to use the luck!)

If you're born into a good family, with the chance for good schooling, good jobs, good medical, high safety standards, that's where you get the big "Success" started.

If you are born into some XXX forsaken place, where none of the above is available, that's where "failure" gets a hold.

Soon there will be walls everywhere, otherwise the unlucky might get lucky.

Changing times!
Those "walls" are becoming more necessary day by day to protect we successful from the losers who are increasingly breaking into OUR country to steal from us what we have built up.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top