Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 11:29 AM

British accents in American programmes.

Has anyone else noticed how British accents seem 'different' in American programmes? I used to think, it was just the contrast with the American voice that made the British voice seem false or over done.

Friends fans will notice that any British actors sound a bit like Dick Van Dyke.

I watched 24 Live another day recently and there was a scene where our own Kay Burley was reporting the news on TV but her voice sounded completely different to real life. It was as though the sound engineers had raised her voice by a couple of octaves and added a bit of 'Britishness'.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 01:53 PM

Re: British accents in American programmes.

They probably use a voice-over actor to make the accent sound better to Americans.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 02:22 PM

I haven't seen an American programme for such a long time I can't remember how they speak
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 02:29 PM

There was at one time quite alot of British actors who would vanish off our screens and then turn up on the US screens in some big movie or other.
But you are right LD when the Yanks start trying to copy the British accents they sometimes sound appalling.
I always wondered why Daphne from Frasier sounded so false at one time I thought her a yank but then found out she was a Brit it was just her Northern accent that was false. Her coming from Essex that is.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 05:12 PM

I have also noticed that a lot of the Brits sound Australian.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 07:17 PM

That bloke in Magnum(not magnum himself) wound me up with his fake accent.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Certainly, a lot of our young kids do (or did). That's down to Neighbours, of course.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

14-03-2017, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Certainly, a lot of our young kids do (or did). That's down to Neighbours, of course.
I think that's where upspeak came from too.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
How lucky can you be
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

14-03-2017, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
How lucky can you be
I suppose they might sound New Zealandish... New Zealandian or whatever it is. You all sound the same to us anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top