Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 08:39 PM

Re: Are you a shopping snob?

One of my favourite shopping trips is to Poundland. But yes I am a snob about some things because of quality. So I like discounted label clothes and handbags when they are on sale or online rather than cheap manufacturers. I get shoes at the Clarks outlet because they are made to last. If I had an Aldi where you could park then I'd go there all the time as I think their food is lovely. I don't like Lidl's car park, it's really hard to park because it's so narrow. Some of the cheaper stores you could get knifed if you look at someone the wrong way. So safety is also a consideration and the long queues. But I think discount stores are brilliant, particularly Poundland type places where they buy up overstock at a low cost. So most of their stuff is very good quality. A lot of branded goods are a total marketing con. Particularly the non generic medicines when a generic version is available. But a nice handbag or shoes would be from the designer sale. Not that there is anything wrong with cheaper stuff it's just nice to have something that lasts and looks good too.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 08:41 PM

I just think you get what you pay for. I once bought a pair of pliers in poundland that snapped in half the first time I used them but then there are other things that can be used then thrown away.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 08:42 PM

I'm not a snob shopper or a shopper snob. I go where I need to go and the nearest.

The large Sainsburys is a nice walk away (although I go in the car mostly as I couldn't carry things). Plus, it's next to John Lewis.... and oh I SO adore going into John Lewis with my cheap Tesco bags in a scruffy coat and trainers

I went into JL once with my Sainsbury's trolley full of shopping and they told me off. 'You can't bring a trolley in here'

I need Free From stuff so as Sainsbury is the nicest I go there most of the time.
I also use Tesco (fairly regularly)
Morrisons (occasionally)
Aldi (very irregularly)
B & M or Poundland when I need household things like bleach, Palmolive soaps, hand wash, shampoo etc
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I just think you get what you pay for. I once bought a pair of pliers in poundland that snapped in half the first time I used them but then there are other things that can be used then thrown away.
I'd agree not to trust their tools but the branded stuff there is the real deal. They buy from retailers that have over ordered.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 08:49 PM

I am a shop around shopper.
I buy more and more from Lidl these days, I like their premium range.
I love Primark, it does the small sizes for me.
Tesco yes, only for things I am unable or forgot in Lidl.
Sorry I hate McDs, not keen on food as it is.
I do like Savers for my toiletries.
Sainsbury is where I usually buy my wine.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

11-04-2019, 09:15 PM

Sweetie I totally understand about Mickey D's but what do you mean you are not keen on food?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 09:27 PM

I am a Lidl shopper,..very fussy about clothes,they have to be of very good quality,..that is why I look in charity shops,..I bought a pair of leather boots a while back,also a short waisted leather jacket,by oasis,brand new,£8 it cost,absolute bargain....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Primark. Home Bargains. B&M. Aldi. McDonalds. Asda George.

Are you the sort of person who turns their nose up and 'wouldn't be seen dead' in budget stores and eateries?
Are you afraid people you know may look down on you in disdain as if you are strapped for cash or even dirty in your appearance?
Will you only shop at upmarket supermarkets and eat in quaint tea rooms?

Or are you quite happy to do your shopping in these places for practical reasons - sensibly buying cheaper goods, convenience, etc?

I must say as an example that I do not believe in being ripped off and I'll buy my goods cheaper if possible, though I don't travel an extra five miles to buy a bottle of shower gel because it's 25p cheaper somewhere else.
I have recently started shopping regularly at Aldi as I like their products, which are an interesting change from the norm you get from the 'big 4' supermarkets.

Thoughts on this?
Never liked Aldi & it seems they are going to build one here, not far from our big Co-op & Tesco & I can't see how any will make money if they do.
I like Poundland, B&M, Buyology, for budget stores. Asda, Sainsburys, Tesco & Co-op for groceries everyday or weekly. The Co-op is our nearest, but Tesco is cheaper. Only get to the others when out with my Daughter.
I like the budget stores & get carried away when I go to those.
BTW I like McD.
Mrs Foxtrot
Southern England
Mrs Foxtrot is female  Mrs Foxtrot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 11:07 PM

I've just checked with my housekeeper. She says I am not a shopping snob. I don't mind if she orders from Harrods or Fortnum and Mason.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Sweetie I totally understand about Mickey D's but what do you mean you are not keen on food?
That is why I am so skinny, I just don't like food tbh. I go through phases.
Sometimes I only eat a chocolate eclair.
I like my wine though.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top