Join for free
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 10:09 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Has anyone ever been TGTBT?
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 10:49 AM

TGTBT

I tried and failed...My Mother used to sigh deeply muttering "I knew you staying out of trouble was too good to be true" before giving me a clout.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 11:06 AM

You know the worst thing about having a Receding hair line is solo, you don't get to go to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 02:59 PM

TGTBT? I still haven’t managed to master these internet terms.
But I’ve been to Tom Gibbons Tavern BallybriT several times Spitty, nice pint of Guinness to be had there, very friendly staff too. Ballybrit, home of the Galway Races.

Edinburgh Fringe festival how are yeh, who do you think you are, Quiff Richard?

Ah The Third Man, what a classic.
Orson Welles served his acting apprenticeship at the Gate Theatre here in Dublin under the guidance of Micheal MacLiammoir and Hilton Edwards who founded the Gate, both of whom were gay and lived together when it was a dangerous time for gays.
I heard a story from a chap who worked at the Gate during Welles time there, it seems that when Edwards and MacLiammoir were together in a dressing room one evening a visitor called to see MacLiammoir, he asked Welles was he available to which Wells replied, “Not at the moment sir, he’s up to his Hilton Edwards”

Edwards & MacLiammoir.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

22-07-2019, 03:14 PM

One never learns does one, just like last year, we paid £20.00 to park on a farm field adjacent to the runway at Fairford Gloucestershire yesterday. we did the same last year but, despite the great financial savings and superb views, we found out last time, we would be surrounded by folks just wanting a party in the park.
Well this year was worse than ever, to start with we were impressed by the amount of space left at the drivers side of my sons car, but, within two minutes, it became obvious that the car next to us was in convoy with the car next to them, and the space was soon filled up with chairs and cool boxes etc, so much that my son had no easy access to get into his car.
To compound the issue, it soon became apparent that there were 3 nippers in the party, and out came the football, which within a minute struck my son on the leg, four minutes or so later, my son had to outstretch his arm to protect the bonnet of his new car and spilt some hot tea in his lap, little Theo, got a mild clip round the ear from his father for that.
We decided to leave early and as usual, I had to walk in front of my sons car, like a chief mourner at a funeral to remove people and assorted camping paraphernalia blocking the access road, so, next year its back to the old way, folding bikes in car, park a couple of miles away, fold up chairs, rucksacks with cameras, provisions in etc, find a quiet field entrance and save £20.00.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

22-07-2019, 03:19 PM

Forgot to mention the Frisby dodging.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 04:15 PM

Quiff Richards..didn't see that one coming Jem

Twenty quid to be a captive audience...someone, somewhere knows a thing or two on how to rake it in...but the thought of you doing a cortege crawl does bring on a smile Spitty.

Take heart though here is some flying news.... these chaps plan to fly aroiund the world in their renovated Spitfire in a couple of weeks time. Wonder if, where they land will charge as much as Fairford to see this flying icon

Be interesting to follow their progress

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 02:44 PM

Sorry to hear your enjoyment at Fairford was cut short Spitty.
It does no harm to say a little prayer before one sets out on these trips, forget about St. Christopher, he’s only for the long haul, if you want things to work out for the best when travelling nationally say a little prayer to the patron saint of campers…Pope Pious the tent.

I wish them well in the Spitfire. The spitfire was always my favourite plane, and millions of others favourite too I’d say, beautiful design and very effective in aerial combat.
I had a thread up here several years back complaining about the lousy design of modern spaceships, heaps of junk, what ever happened to the spaceships of the 50’s? Flash Gordon’s ship was slick shiny and smooth, even the starship enterprise had elegance of design. I think “Star Wars” was responsible for introducing the junk spaceships, but then again anything to do with war is ugly. Now we have flying junkyards barging their way through the universe, well as the wife said it’s one way of getting some of our junk off the earth.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

23-07-2019, 03:24 PM

Good advice on the prayer front.
I've been out for an hour today recreating Sundays ambience, it was a nice hour in the Park.
One thing I did notice on Sunday, during a plethora of fast jets above, most kids and folks carried on about their business, when the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight went through, everyone stopped and looked skywards, and took photos, good to see respect in action.
solo
UK

23-07-2019, 05:07 PM

Always good to see respect shown. Always the same when these vintage planes go over. The roar of some of those old engines is absolutely heart stopping.

Looks like a few rockets went off at the Boars head last night what with Shane Lowry singing and celebrating. Love the Guinness in the Claret Cup trophy ...how good is that. Well done him.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top