Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 03:12 PM

Real books vs e books?

I am a firm advocate of paper books. You can read them on the beach, in the bath and they never need charging. It was reported yesterday that sales of ebooks had fallen and paper books are regaining popularity. Which do you prefer and why?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 03:18 PM

Re: Real books vs e books?

I'm with you on this Annie.

I do not want anything but my ordinary, paper book thanks.

Mainly because I am a boring old f**t.
Nothing wrong with books, at least they don't break or conk out.
They've been an easy and acceptable method of reading all these years, so I don't see the need to change.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 03:25 PM

I prefer real books but I do think e books are useful when travelling etc. Sometimes I download several free books on Kindle most of which are not very good and I give up after a few chapters but I do wonder if I would make more effort had I bought the proper book. Having said that, I have read some excellent free books and there is the advantage of being able to read the reviews.

My biggest gripe with Amazon is having to sift through all those 'Billionaire and his lover' type books.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 03:34 PM

E Books, Kindles . . where's the romance is that dongles?

We communicate and read on the internet all the time now.
Will lovers of the future write their love letters on screens too?
Will tomorrow's youngsters be incapable of writing anything on beautiful paper in pen & ink?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 03:38 PM

I do both...good books I buy and keep..for the quick fix I use the Kindle.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 03:46 PM

I'm a big fan of my kindle app on my phone, sat in the GP surgery I can read while I wait, sat in my car out comes my phone book opens at right place and I'm reading while I wait, work just a five minute break for a drink of water and out comes my phone and I'm reading again, in bed at night I can read into the night without the lights on so not disturbing anyone else. Most books are free or less than £2 can't beat that IMO

New authors if you like their writing some will send you their new copies for free just to get your review.

I can carry hundreds of books on holiday in a little phone it's great.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I am a firm advocate of paper books. You can read them on the beach, in the bath and they never need charging. It was reported yesterday that sales of ebooks had fallen and paper books are regaining popularity. Which do you prefer and why?
Proper books every time. The smell, illustrations if any, cover page, bit about the author, rustling paper as the pages turn, I could go on.....
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 04:50 PM

I love my Kindle, and do almost all of my reading on it now

It can hold thousands of books and is so light and handy. I can make highlights or notes and even see highlights that other people have made. I can increase or decrease the text size.

All in all I just love my Kindle and couldn't go back to paper books now unless they contained illustrations or art.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 04:53 PM

Paper for me.. E books are not for me I have a slight problem with my eyes and that means staring at a screen for a longer time is just out of the question, I even had to abandon a forum I used to post on because they changed the site and the new layout (?) background was so bright I couldnt cope with it for more than 30 seconds at a time.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 04:53 PM

That increase decrease text sizes is brilliant I can read in bed with no glasses, anyone tried that knows how uncomfortable it can be.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top