Join for free
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2013, 09:08 AM

Flash! Crash! Wallop!

Take note of the latest insurance scam, you are standing at a road junction, then someone Flashes you to go first, you pull out and Crash, they smash into you, and your insurance gets Walloped for huge insurance bills.
It was your fault and you can't prove otherwise, in future ignore someone trying to be nice!
Anyway it is illegal to flash someone for that reason, but you can't prove it!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2013, 09:14 AM

Re: Flash! Crash! Wallop!

All very true Wrinkly - I actually fell foul of that on my driving test (but still passed). Now, if I'm going to let someone cross or come out of a side road, I'll just sit there giving them enough room but at least I've stopped the traffic behind me so they can get out (the problem arises when they've been there for a while and have gone into a sort of coma so they don't notice you've stopped for them )
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2013, 09:41 AM

I thought for a while there that someone crashed after being flashed . Must have a dirty mind .
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2013, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I thought for a while there that someone crashed after being flashed . Must have a dirty mind .
Then here comes the wallop (just to keep the thread title going!)
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2013, 12:29 PM

When I was driving 3 years ago, I was always letting folks go first, never in a hurry to go anywhere, so this scam wouldn't have helped me drive.
I remember when the M1 first opened, we used to fly up and down there, like it was a racetrack, everybody went crazy for speed.
Didn't last long though, there were some horrendous crashes, mostly in fogs, it was absolutely crazy.
The motorbike was great, we used to open that throttle all the way, and one of the venues we always me in was the BlueBoar, and Newport Pagnall.
Do you remember those days.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2013, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
When I was driving 3 years ago, I was always letting folks go first, never in a hurry to go anywhere, so this scam wouldn't have helped me drive.
I remember when the M1 first opened, we used to fly up and down there, like it was a racetrack, everybody went crazy for speed.
Didn't last long though, there were some horrendous crashes, mostly in fogs, it was absolutely crazy.
The motorbike was great, we used to open that throttle all the way, and one of the venues we always me in was the BlueBoar, and Newport Pagnall.

Vaguely Arthur matey. In the Science Museum is a Rover 90 fitted with a jet engine - the scientists wanted to test it, so at 02.00 one morning took it out on the M1. The Police radar check clocked it at over 400 mph and rising.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2013, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
I do indeed, the M6 near me was the first motorway, when I first started driving/riding We used to blast up there in excess of 100mph, there was no speed limit then.
I'm lucky I'm still alive.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2013, 12:32 AM

It's not illegal to flash an oncoming car or one from a side street. I've done this to Police cars if they're sitting in traffic wanting to turn off or onto a main road so, if it was illegal, they'd have pulled me over.

Flashing my lights to let someone go before me is something I continue to do, even though I know about this scam. I just can't get out of the habit, because I am as polite on the road as I can be.

It is so hard for people to get out onto a busy main road from a side street and I've always been grateful for courteous drivers that allow me out in front of them, so I try to show others the same courtesy.

However, I am going to have to try to curb my ways, and beckon somebody by hand through the window in future.

Not really sure why the motorways, or cars attaining a speed of 400 mph, is relevant here though.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top