Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 10:16 AM

Re: does anyone really like spiders

I don't like them either (no idea why) but I won't kill them (I get a humungous glass or something and a piece of card to catch them then put them outside) unless they have that annoying attitude of 'you feeling lucky punk' and then I will kill them. If they just stayed outside, all would be well; after all, I don't go crawling all over their webs!
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 02:02 PM

exactly...they're not invited in...
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 09:35 PM

I would never kill a spider - I know what they eat !!

Seriously, they are lovely fascinating creatures and incredibly useful. This morning I found an egg sac in the garage - not sure if it were full or empty - didn't like to disturb it. Last year I moved one accidently and was bitten by a very angry spider. In the UK I believe it is mainly the females that bite but, though it can make you feel sick and sore for a couple of days, they are relatively harmless.

A couple of years ago I went to Harewood House and they had some fabulous ones there. I let one of these run up my arm - it tickled because they are so furry !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goliath_birdeater
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 12:30 AM

For the life of me I don't understand why anybody would be scared of something that can't harm you.

Spiders are wonderful engineers and the work they put into the spinning of their webs should be admired because as humans with our machinery and technology, we can't produce any material so fine, yet so strong.

They eat the nasties that come into your homes such as flies, etc, so what's not to like about them?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 12:32 AM

Spiders "Whats not to like" I agree Mollie, ARCHIE eats them.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 12:35 AM

Good old Archie!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
For the life of me I don't understand why anybody would be scared of something that can't harm you.
I would love to know the answer to that given that most people seem to be 'wary' of them. It really irritates me that I am afraid of something I know won't hurt me. Maybe it's a hangover from times past when many spiders were harmful? Ditto with the old snake fear thing as well possibly.
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 02:22 PM

whoever Archie is ...he's welcome at my house....

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top