Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 01:39 PM

When you were Seven .....

Do you think your character was formed at the age of Seven..... For me - yes. I see no difference in my character up to now. I see a part of my Dad in me, nothing in character to relate to my Mother or my siblings.
Fascinating to think on it and wonder why you are, who you are, when you relate it to upbringing and parents.
As your siblings had the same, why are you different to them .....Is it just a mixture of genes going back in time, to make up you ......
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 01:54 PM

Re: When you were Seven .....

I believe we have an inborn temperament.. however, I think outside forces shape us. I can see today how my parents parenting style contributed to the way I react to things.
Moiramary
Lincoln
Moiramary is female  Moiramary has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 01:55 PM

I don't know about me (too close to the subject), but I did have a chuckle once in the County Archives. My mother's family are very stubborn, especially the males. I came across an ancestor who had a Royal Indictment taken out against him. It was all about his refusal to maintain a road passing through his land and "in his stubbornness" denied the King, his ensigns etc free access to parts of his realm. This was back in the 1700s but I thought immediately of Uncle Gordon! Unfortunately there was no record of what happened to my ancestor.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 01:59 PM

No I don't believe that at all, at 7 I was a scared little thing wouldn't say boo to a goose, dreadfully damaged from the 4 years I lived with my parents, I never really became myself until I met and married and was allowed to grow into my own person.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
No I don't believe that at all, at 7 I was a scared little thing wouldn't say boo to a goose, dreadfully damaged from the 4 years I lived with my parents, I never really became myself until I met and married and was allowed to grow into my own person.
Interesting - I can see that would affect you. your character was to be timid at that time, in time your confidence grew with your own responsibilites.
For me, I had to be responsible from a very young age.
Audrey - a good word react, as I know it applied to me also, I 'reacted' to my mothers ways determined not to be like her.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 03:04 PM

My character was definitely starting to form by then and I was starting to rebel against my parents' values and lifestyle. Things went gradually downhill until I got married and gained pretty well full independance.

As Philip Larkin put it...

"They f**k you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 03:27 PM

As Philip Larkin put it...

"They f**k you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.
Boy can I relate to THAT!!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

22-08-2013, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Boy can I relate to THAT!!
Me too !
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I agree with this Julie. I wasn't a nervous child but I was extremely shy. I didn't really develop into myself until I got married.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

22-08-2013, 03:44 PM

I think if you are timid when young, everyone has to emerge from that and marriage and the responsiblities that go with it, should do the trick ....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top