Join for free
bee_allen
New Member!
Falmouth
bee_allen is female 

14-01-2010, 12:05 AM

University student needs help with Inclusive design project please :)

Hello,

I hope you dont mind, but i was wondering if i could get some feedback off you all for my University Major project.

I am focussing on inclusive design specifically focussing on car interiors and was wondering if you could all answer a few questions for me ?

Firstly, what car do you drive?

Secondly, Are their any features that are hard to use, or distracting whilst driving?

Thirdly, Do you have a preference on materials especially how tactile they are?

Fourth(ly?), Are their any aspects regarding the positioning of switches gear stick etc that you would change to make usability easier?

I hope this is ok, i hope you dont think im rude!

Love Bee
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2010, 12:26 AM

Re: University student needs help with Inclusive design project please :)

Sorry but I gave up driving when I realised that a new car actually had to be on roads with other cars and not on it`s own with some drop dead dolly bird fondling my gear stick.

And having bought one I never got promotion.

But I`m an old git
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2010, 10:33 AM

Good luck with your project Bee. Aren't you brave coming here with all uis grumpy oldies?
I won't be much use to you - I hate driving and do it as little as I possibly can. However ....

Firstly, what car do you drive? VW Golf

Secondly, Are their any features that are hard to use, or distracting whilst driving? None that I can think of

Thirdly, Do you have a preference on materials especially how tactile they are?No - though I hate the 'plastic' smell

Fourth(ly?), Are their any aspects regarding the positioning of switches gear stick etc that you would change to make usability easier?
Yes - I don't understand why designers don't put some indication of speed on the screen - a see-through display - so that you can pay full attention to the road ahead whilst ensuring you don't fall foul of speed limits
cathy
essex
cathy is female  cathy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2010, 12:21 PM

i dont drive. and OH drives a small fiat 900 chinciequento (think thats how u spell it lol)
i think there should be an IQ test machine in the car. so when these idiots get in a car for the first time. if they fail a basic test they should be ejected out the car and not allowed to drive.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2010, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by bee_allen ->
Hello,

I hope you dont mind, but i was wondering if i could get some feedback off you all for my University Major project.

I am focussing on inclusive design specifically focussing on car interiors and was wondering if you could all answer a few questions for me ?

Firstly, what car do you drive?

Secondly, Are their any features that are hard to use, or distracting whilst driving?

Thirdly, Do you have a preference on materials especially how tactile they are?

I hope this is ok, i hope you dont think im rude!

Love Bee
Hi Bee I drive a 15 year old Volvo 440 Automatic ,
no preferences, not bothered about tactile materials .
I will just be grateful if my old car keeps going for a bit longer and doesn't collapse in a heap on the drive .
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2010, 10:02 PM

Sorry, I am and always have been a public transportation user.
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2010, 11:48 PM

I drive a Vauxhall Combi Van. I'm not particularly bothered about materials etc., but I do find on this particular model that for some reason the seat belt is awkward to lock on. Oh, and I do wish there was something to counteract our very low winter sunshine that was standard in vehicles.

Then again, my van is quite old, so perhaps newer vehicles already have this?
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2010, 10:25 AM

I'd echo both those little quibbles - low winter sun and uncomfortable seat belts (short people - they cut across the neck)
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2010, 03:05 PM

We have a 4x4 Toyota Amazon Land Cruiser. We bought it mainly because there is loads of room for the dog in the back. The seats are leather and easy to keep clean. I rather like the idea of leather and cloth in the front seats as the leather is a bit uncomfortable in the hot weather.

I don't drive myself so I wouldn't have a clue about the driving aspect of the car but I know that my husband has all the switches on the steering wheel to open windows, volumn on the radio, and lots of other stuff which I think is excellent as he doesn't have to look anywhere else.

We have heated seats which has been a boon on several occasions. There is plenty of leg room, plenty of places to put bottles and coffee cups which I think is very important in modern cars.

I can't think of anything that I don't like about this huge monster except that it is a gas guzzler and that is why we are changing it. We are going to look at the Kia Sedona which seems to have similar bells and whistles.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top