Join for free
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2010, 04:25 PM

Thalidomide

I'm unsure as to whether it is really for this government to 'apologise' for Thalidomide, and all the awful things it did Link to news item
I hadn't realised that there are so relatively few thalidomide affected people left - I believe it is 400ish in this country. I've known 2 of them through work (not health/care related - just through 'work') - maybe I'm unusual in that respect?

Oh, and isn't it interesting to hear that thalidomide is doing great stuff in treating (absolutely, definately not pregnant) leprosy sufferers?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2010, 06:03 PM

Re: Thalidomide

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
Oh, and isn't it interesting to hear that thalidomide is doing great stuff in treating (absolutely, definately not pregnant) leprosy sufferers?
That is strange. A drug that caused limbs not to grow can also save limbs when used under different circumstances.
anekico
Liverpool UK
anekico is female  anekico has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2010, 10:58 PM

Re: Thalidomide

When I was young I was doing a project for school and spent some time in a unit in the children's hospital. They were being taught all manner of every day things, walking up and down stairs, turning taps on etc. Once I got over my shyness we had a great laugh.
The biggest ,laugh was on me over the fact I had to suffer arms and legs, what horrible gawkish things they were and what a waste of time they were! They were the ones responsible for teaching me to totally accept someone who was not considered 'normal'. It was a well learned lesson that has served me well for so many reasons over the years.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top