Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 02:26 PM

Attacks on Police

I was just wondering what others on OFF think about the headlines yesterday regarding the Police attack in Merton and a police spokesperson saying that the public should have intervened to help the two police officers?

My own feelings are that the person who was taking the video of the incident, laughing and giving a running commentary, was despicable! Comment on media also referred to all the vehicles that were driving past, just inches away from the attack, completely ignored what was happening. Police are astonished that out of all those present, only one single motorbike rider came to their aid. Even though the female officer was knocked into the path of a passing double decker by a vicious running kung fu kick by a coward, still no help!

Well, to be perfectly honest, I have nothing but admiration for our boys in blue (or black nowadays). They do the very best they can in trying to stop crime with very limited resources. The blame of public indifference is certainly not their fault. It lies solely with government and management.

However, it is my belief that most of the treasured trust between public and police has been lost in this country. I live in rural Shropshire. We had a Police Station in the nearest town to me which was just 3 miles. The officers stationed there knew every inch of the town and surrounding countryside and any emergency call or personal visit to them was always dealt with quickly and efficiently. That was until the powers that be decided that the public were no longer permitted inside the station,we could only ring a bell outside the police station and “hope” that someone was available to answer it, which they weren’t always!. all phone calls were diverted to Shrewsbury, 21 miles away, to people who didn’t even know the street names in our nearest town, we no longer see a single policeman on our streets, if a crime is committed, even in the midst of it, unless there is a threat to life, no-one will come out,

Look at the case in the papers this week. A man had a surveillance camera positioned outside his house, showing clearly the person who broke into his work van and stole £1500 worth of equipment he needs to carry out his work. He phoned the police to tell them he had the evidence to catch the thief but the police told him they would not be coming out to deal with it due to lack of manpower. They wouldn’t even deal with the surveillance evidence.
The workman said “it may not mean much to the Police, but that theft of equipment meant a loss of a lot of money to me”.

So, as loathe as I am to say it, I feel a lot of not helping the Police is tit-for-tat. A case of “we no longer look after you, so why should we care about you”.

It’s quite sad. How do you feel about it?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 02:56 PM

Re: Attacks on Police

I feel sad TBH I hope I would at least yell at them to stop, sometimes that's enough to distract an attacker so the police can get the upper hand.

I can't help feeling though they aren't being supported properly, the case where the head honcho locked himself in his car rather than help his colleagues wasn't a glowing testament to how we should help.

I also think we aren't being helped by the police as we used to be, here we had our village policeman removed then they closed the town police station. Now we have to email them if we are burgled. Not seeing a policeman or woman for years unless they are driving past in a panda car doesn't form good bonds between us. I have no problem emailing but if they don't then attend why are we bothering ? It's almost like we are just doing it for the insurance companies not so they can catch the thieves.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I feel sad TBH I hope I would at least yell at them to stop, sometimes that's enough to distract an attacker so the police can get the upper hand.

I can't help feeling though they aren't being supported properly, the case where the head honcho locked himself in his car rather than help his colleagues wasn't a glowing testament to how we should help.

I also think we aren't being helped by the police as we used to be, here we had our village policeman removed's t then they closed the town police station. Now we have to email them if we are burgled. Not seeing a policeman or woman for years unless they are driving past in a panda car doesn't form good bonds between us. I have no problem emailing but if they don't then attend why are we bothering ? It's almost like we are just doing it for the insurance companies not so they can catch the thieves.
That's awful Julie. How do elderly and others who have no access to a computer, send an email if they are burgled??
I sometimes wonder if they have an out tray for all these "The Computer says no!" emails.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 04:50 PM

Sad to say, I am another one with barely a good word for the police anymore.

This is not from heresay, or other people's problems, or what I've read about, it is from personal experience on an an important problem I have been trying to get help with for a considerable time, and they have been worse than useless.

In my experience, they have not once done what they told me they would, and I have been fobbed off time and time again, and my patience is coming to an end.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 05:01 PM

Disgraceful,at the end of the day,police officers,lay their life on the line for us!
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Disgraceful,at the end of the day,police officers,lay their life on the line for us!
I agree Pauline
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 05:39 PM

The baddies have always attacked the police since they were introduced in 1822. They are there to protect the rest of us, not to expect us to wade in. If a police officer was getting beaten up it's because he had no back up from the force, nothing to do with lack of public support.

We are often told not to approach dangerous people so why was this incident any different? Perhaps if the attacker had called the officer a 'pansy' a fleet of squad cars might have turned up.

I do appreciate what the majority of police officers do but as a force, their priorities are all wrong.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 05:46 PM

Is there a link to this incident ?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 05:54 PM

We get a lot of van break-ins around here, people post on FB so others can keep an eye out for the vehicles used and the items stolen if the are advertised for sale or turn up a bootsales.

If I saw a policeman getting attacked it would make sense to me to film it, after dialing 999, so the perpetrators could be identified.
If I tried to intervene I'm sure I'd make things worse.
I wouldn't post the video though, just hand it straight to the police.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by basser ->
Is there a link to this incident ?
https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/19/flyin...f-bus-8154753/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top