Join for free
Page 6 of 13 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 09:48 AM

Re: Notre Dame burns ---

Macron has apparently asked the World to help. I hope he doesn't mean financially.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Macron has apparently asked the World to help. I hope he doesn't mean financially.
Notre Dame is owned by the French government. I sincerely hope that not a sous of British taxpayer money is sent to meet the costs that must be met to rebuild the place.

On the other hand the Vatican should certainly stump up most if not all of the costs.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Notre Dame is owned by the French government. I sincerely hope that not a sous of British taxpayer money is sent to meet the costs that must be met to rebuild the place.

On the other hand the Vatican should certainly stump up most if not all of the costs.
Watching some of the news programmes this morning, there are already people here demanding we send funds over to poor old France to help rebuild it. Wouldn't that be the final insult to Britain if traitor May agreed.

As you say, the Catholic church is worth an estimated $15 billion.... I reckon they can afford it.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 11:58 AM

Hi

The Catholic Church does not own Notre Dame.

It is a french government building.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

16-04-2019, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The Catholic Church does not own Notre Dame.

It is a french government building.
True but they could help. Britain doesn't own it either but it seems some think it is in our interest to send money.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 12:08 PM

I have a great idea.
Why not pull the building down and built tower blocks instead. Then they could house the illegal immigrants at the Calais port. What a fantastic idea religion can actually do.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
True but they could help. Britain doesn't own it either but it seems some think it is in our interest to send money.
Why should they ?

Be like our scrounging royal family who asked for cash when Windsor Castle burned
( despite them being one of the wealthiest families in the world.)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

16-04-2019, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Why should they ?

Be like our scrounging royal family who asked for cash when Windsor Castle burned
( despite them being one of the wealthiest families in the world.)
Exactly.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 12:23 PM

I would love to see it restored & if every person in the EU donated 1 Euro I am sure it could be achieved. They have already been promised a fortune by Francois-Henri Pinault who has pledged to donate 100 million euro.

The cathedral has stood for 850 years & is loved by many, so I would be happy to give a small donation towards restoring it. It doesn't matter who it belongs too, it is a beautiful structure that took 200 years to build & is part of human history.

I have always enjoyed seeing structures from the past & they teach us a lot about how ancient humans lived. I wonder how many of today's buildings will last as long?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

16-04-2019, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I would love to see it restored & if every person in the EU donated 1 Euro I am sure it could be achieved. They have already been promised a fortune by Francois-Henri Pinault who has pledged to donate 100 million euro.

The cathedral has stood for 850 years & is loved by many, so I would be happy to give a small donation towards restoring it. It doesn't matter who it belongs too, it is a beautiful structure that took 200 years to build & is part of human history.

I have always enjoyed seeing structures from the past & they teach us a lot about how ancient humans lived. I wonder how many of today's buildings will last as long?
This is true Twink and tbh, I would gladly give one euro but it's the fact that old short shanks is asking for it as though France is some poor Country. Macron has made it clear he thinks little of Britain so we should return the compliment. I don't remember France paying towards Windsor Castle for instance.

Page 6 of 13 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top