Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2019, 04:35 PM

Re: Time solved

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Yes it's high time we went metric.
That's not metric.
It's decimal.
I know I'm a pedant about measurement units. Maybe being an engineer does that to you........
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2019, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Realspeed, You are so brilliant, you will go down in history as a genius. You will be up there with Einstein, George Orwell and many more.
I can tell my grandchildren that l knew the genius, realspeed.
I am unique a one of model, just like everyone else is
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2019, 04:52 PM

My interest having been piqued, I felt compelled to perform a quick search regarding rationalisation of time and found:

https://nrich.maths.org/6070

From about 700 BCE the Babylonians began to develop a mathematical theory of astronomy, but the equally divided 12-constellation zodiac appears later about 500 BCE to correspond to their year of 12 months of 30 days each. Their base 60 fraction system which we still use today (degrees / hours, minutes and seconds) was much easier to calculate with than the fractions used in Egypt or Greece, and remained the main calculation tool for astronomers until after the 16th century, when decimal notation began to take over.

The earliest archaeological evidence of Chinese calendars appears about 2,000 BCE. They show a 12 month year with the occasional occurrence of a 13th month. However, traditional Chinese records suggest the origin of a calendar of 366 days depending on the movements of the Sun and the Moon as early as 3,000 BCE. Over such a long period of observation, Chinese astronomers became aware that their calendar was not accurate, and by the second century CE it was recognised that the calendar became unreliable every 300 years. This problem is called Precession and was recorded by Chinese historians in the fourth and fifth centuries CE. In the fifth century CE the scholar Zu Chongzi created the first calendar which took precession into account, and the most comprehensive calendar was the Dayan Calendar compiled in the Tang Dynasty (616-907 CE) well ahead of any such development in Europe.
Nothing is new under the sun ......

There is, of course, the 2000-year-old Antikythera mechanism .....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2019, 04:25 AM

Realist, some British guy beat you to the idea in the early 1900's, calling it the International Fixed Calendar. I suppose you and he can fight it out for the naming rights of the 13 calendar.

Realspeed, though you can't do much about the revolution of the Earth around the Sun, that by no means diminishes your obvious your unquestioned brilliance. I am in awe .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2019, 06:31 AM

Hi

Time can literally stand still.

Stephen Hawking says so.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top