Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 03:09 PM

Re: Where is your washing machine.

My washer and dryer are upstairs in a separate laundry room, which doubles as a "dog room" where I feed and water (cabinets, mini fridge, sink) the dogs and store all their food and gear.

For those of you who have your washers in the kitchen, like Besoeker, where ar tre the valves to turn off the water supply in the event of a leak?
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 03:12 PM

As I'm in an apartment, the laundry room is in the basement of our building. We have a large room, magazines to peruse if you care to remain in the room while doing the washing, and a large comfy rocker recliner to sit in while you wait. A large table to fold garments after drying, and a clothes rack for hanging anything not for the dryer.
Me? Nope, I use the stairs as exercise, and bounce up and down a couple of times to load washer/dryer and fold clothes.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Xandra ->
I read an article online (DM) today where it was suggested the bathroom was the place for washing machines, not the kitchen.
Personally I would not want to carry a basket of wet washing downstairs to hang out in the garden, added to which my bathroom is far too small to accommodate a WM.
But it seems the rest of the world do.
Where do you keep yours?
Some people have their bathroom downstairs, but the washing machine is a kitchen appliance by nature and that's where it belongs unless you are wealthy and have a separate utility room.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Mine's in a cupboard under the stairs.

My kitchen is quite small, so I didn't want either the boiler or the washing machine taking up valuable kitchen cupboard space.

The washing machine cupboard is towards the bottom of the stairs, with the smallest pointy bit being another little cupboard where I keep my picnic gear.
I suppose we are fortunate in that we have a pretty big kitchen with all the usual appliances built in. There is also a small dining table. It is L-shaped. The narrower leg of the L is what I call "Appliance Alley"
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Some people have their bathroom downstairs, but the washing machine is a kitchen appliance by nature and that's where it belongs unless you are wealthy and have a separate utility room.
Washers and dryers are usually separate appliances over here, Floydy and very, very rarely the kitchen unless they are in a separate, nearby closet. Laundry rooms are becoming more common in many new builds over here, not just the bigger houses because they can serve so many purposes.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
We aren’t wealthy but have a separate room. Perhaps in UK things are different. I have never in my life heard of a washing machine being a kitchen appliance. I know a dishwasher is considered one.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Washers and dryers are usually separate appliances over here, Floydy and very, very rarely the kitchen unless they are in a separate, nearby closet. Laundry rooms are becoming more common in many new builds over here, not just the bigger houses because they can serve so many purposes.
Oh yes. You’re from the US so things are similar to us.
Thanks
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 04:01 PM

I must admit, I would love a utility room, even just a small one.

However, I don't have, and never have had, a tumble dryer.
It's one of my 'things', from an ecological and financial point of view.
Although to be fair, I am lucky enough to have a small garden, and a very useful bannister where the warm air rising from downstairs dries clothes in no time if it's raining.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

04-06-2019, 04:13 PM

Our laundry room isn’t a finished room. It’s just framed up with no drywall which is shared by a furnace water tank and water softener. There are shelves in there for storage. I’ve never had a washing machine leak so haven’t experienced that type of problem but if I had a choice I would have preferred an upstairs laundry room. Most houses in Canada have basements. I haven’t lived in a house where there wasn’t one.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Our laundry room isn’t a finished room. It’s just framed up with no drywall which is shared by a furnace water tank and water softener. There are shelves in there for storage. I’ve never had a washing machine leak so haven’t experienced that type of problem but if I had a choice I would have preferred an upstairs laundry room. Most houses in Canada have basements. I haven’t lived in a house where there wasn’t one.
Sigh! A basement! The stuff that dreams are made of!

Over here, if there is a basement, it's usually in an older house, and has, for many a long year, been turned into a living area.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top