Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 07:42 PM

Re: If it Can't be Proven, is it worth contemplation and respect?

Absolutely disagree.
It’s the people who keep on discussing things which mainstream society doesn’t believe that keeps research going. Without research we’d never learn anything.

Btw.... quantum physics is a field of study being done by many so tell all those physicists there is no field of study. Lol
Without inquiry and curiosity we would still think the world is flat.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 07:52 PM

[QUOTE=Surfermom;1719076]On the tails of a worthy thread started by Bratti..,

I have a friend who is very well-educated and works in a scientific field. He told me once that if it can't be proven, then it isn't worth thinking about or debating - it's just all hogwash.

Wow!!...what a closed mind he has,sounds like he can't think outside of his own thinking/educating...so no surfermum, I don't agree,

There is more in this world than science,IMO of course.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 08:00 PM

[QUOTE=pauline3;1719172]
Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
On the tails of a worthy thread started by Bratti..,

I have a friend who is very well-educated and works in a scientific field. He told me once that if it can't be proven, then it isn't worth thinking about or debating - it's just all hogwash.

Wow!!...what a closed mind he has,sounds like he can't think outside of his own thinking/educating...so no surfermum, I don't agree,

There is more in this world than science,IMO of course.
What is the difference between knowledge and wisdom?

Regards Donkeyman!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
If it can't be proven, it can't be disproven.

Discuss.

Trouble is some of the time it goes from being a discussion to an argument
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
...and if you can't type a proper thread title, should you be allowed to post?"

Did you actually say ALLOWED, SM?
This is the OFF
Regards Donkeyman!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 08:06 PM

Mups, Pyxell, and Bratti...

I totally agree with you and got into a thoroughly enjoyable, lengthy, and heated debate with the friend mentioned above about where the ideas of the likely unprovable meets the belief system (probability, outcomes from models, residual evidence, etc.) of the scientific world.

Our relative understanding of so much began with an idea that was "out there" sometimes to the point of it being heretical or making someone a laughing stock. Newton and Einstein were both dreamers, after all.

I tend to think that now that we are deep into the technological revolution, we tend to think that ideas like afterlife, beforelife, religion, beauty, love, perception, multiple dimensions are archaic, having no real value in our now very scientific world. For example, we have a whole generation of kids who are being taught that unless you are in a STEM field, your are wasting your time.

Aren't science and humanities, utterly intertwined? Isn't the question of why Neptune is gorgeously out there, robin's egg blue, with wispy clouds just as important as the facts of its composition and how it formed?

It all matters, IMHO.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 08:25 PM

Great post Surfermom .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Never met anyone who made such a claim.

Besoeker, this thread started with Surfermom saying:

" He told me once that if it can't be proven, then it isn't worth thinking about ..."

She went on to ask do we agree or disagree with that statement.

My answer was that I disagreed, because that to me, shows a very closed mind because there are many, many things which they can't prove - YET, same as Pyxell said.

Is that clearer now?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Besoeker, this thread started with Surfermom saying:

" He told me once that if it can't be proven, then it isn't worth thinking about ..."

She went on to say do we agree or disagree with that statement.

I answered her that I disagree, because that to me, shows a very closed mind because there are many, many things which they can't prove - YET.

Is that clearer now?

There are many things that they can not prove.

They may "Never". be able to prove that some things don't exist,
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Great post Surfermom .

I agree, Bratti.

Well said Surfermom.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top