Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 03:55 PM

Muhammad Ali

It has just been announced that boxing legend Muhammad Ali died last Friday after being taken to hospital with respiratory problems. He was 74 and had been suffering from Parkinson's disease for a number of years. Who, of our generation, could forget his skill in the ring, his poetry delivered against his opponents and his catchphrases as well as his sense of humour. His famous saying, "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" will live on well after him.

RIP

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-16011175
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 03:59 PM

Re: Muhammad Ali

Isn't this very old news, from 04 June 2016 according to the news item date?

Information about Muhammad Ali on the link below if interested:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 04:08 PM

You're right dammit. Shows you how much I know about current affairs.

Why the hell has the Beeb shown it today?

Hangs head in shame..........
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->

It's so easy to miss news items in our fast-moving world. Also as one gets older sometimes this does happen and it's happened to me on more than one occasion. Usually it's when a well-known celebrity has died and some time later I notice this for some reason but didn't at the time.

Instant thought is to question if it's an age-related problem or just missing something which is so easy to do. Usually I decide it's the latter which puts my mind at ease.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 04:39 PM

I shouldn't worry, Judd.

At least it was true news and not a fake death announcement, of which there have been a few!

It must have been the same news bulletin as the one where I thought they said Andrea Leadsom wasn't standing for the premiership!
You've only got to miss the first few words and you get the wrong end of the stick!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 05:20 PM

Don't worry Judd, Ali is always worth talking about. A legend if ever there was one
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 05:42 PM

It might be that it was picked up by a search engine while another story was trending, e.g. this one:

https://www.salon.com/2019/05/05/tel...mility-he-had/

Telling Muhammad Ali's story in full: "What really struck me the most was how much humility he had"

Salon talks to Antoine Fuqua about the new doc "What's My Name" and how he sought to tell such a remarkable story

he most compelling documentaries about influential, illustrious icons whose achievements are widely known are the ones that reveal the person's humanity. And it's an important endeavor. The way society plucks and places certain people onto pedestals can be deeply dehumanizing — flattening their legacy in favor of a lore that features a neat order of events of perseverance and triumph, one that can be pitched to a mainstream audience. Most importantly, the fabric of the story must be one that isn't at all threatening to the status quo. We see this manipulation annually with the popular remembrance of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Something similar often happens with Muhammad Ali.

However, finally for Ali, there is a corrective. A forthcoming two-part documentary, "What's My Name | Muhammad Ali," directed by Antoine Fuqua ("Training Day," "Equalizer"), premiered at Tribeca Film Festival last weekend and will air on HBO May 14. The documentary, executive produced by LeBron James and made with permission from Ali's family, features stunning archival footage, some never seen before, of Ali laying bare his interiority, boxing for his life, and theorizing about power, inequality and the livelihoods and struggles of oppressed peoples.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 06:08 PM

My time machine works

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 07:59 PM

The BBC often have those flashbacks "on this day in year xxxx" so maybe that's why you picked it up. Or maybe they were just commemorating his death.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 12:18 PM

I feel sad to see such a clever, active man, losing it Judsy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top