Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 06:59 AM

Re: 75 years since D Day

War is an evil activity, brought about by the greed or hatred if a few powerful individuals & the world would be a better place if we never saw another war.
Having said that, it gave me a strong feeling of pride when I saw all the veterans remembering all the young lives that were lost, to retain our freedom. Even the queen stood to honour them!

I was born after the war, so have no memories of what it was like, but I have been told about family members who died fighting for their country.
Children of today will just know that it is part of out history, but I hope they will be reminded that our lives could have been very different, without those brave men who fought for our freedom.

There must be lots of recorded stories of that time, & I think it would be wonderful to read books that contain these stories..... to make sure the future generations know how difficult life was for the people who worked to keep us safe!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 07:02 AM

Twink - The BBC series The World At War is still probably the best and most thorough collection of first hand recollections available. It was first shown in 1973 but there has never been a better series.
I have the full box set. Well worth investing in.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 07:13 AM

Does anyone know how I can go about getting my Dad a posthumous medal for part in the war?

I think he should be entitled to a medal from the French as he was French and in 1943/44 was working for MI6 in occupied France with the resistance. I have many letters and other documents - from the War Office, landing cards etc and amazingly his 1943 diary which gives a fascinating insight into his life at that time. His recruitment by MI6 has been confirmed by the Duncan Stuart, SOE Advisor of the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, but of course MI6 "refuse to confirm or deny". In particular I have original letters from his French Resistance colleagues giving specific details of the liberation of their town of Roanne, Loire, Rhone-Alpes and I have also obtained from the National Archives and Records Administration in Maryland US, copies of questionnaires completed by his resistance/marquis colleagues which mention him by name as a "British Intelligence Officer" including a handwritten American order to check British Agent Robert Jones whose exact functions were "Secret mission to establish airfields near Clermont-Ferrand" which ends with orders to contact the British Embassy for further details.

Finally, I also have his French Service Record - which shows he continued to be monitored by them until at least 1961 during his post-war career in Nigeria and Cameroon, despite him apparently having no post-war military connection. I continue to research his sudden death in 1964 in Cameroon, West Africa.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Twink - The BBC series The World At War is still probably the best and most thorough collection of first hand recollections available. It was first shown in 1973 but there has never been a better series.
Thanks Floydy! I was reminded by my parents & grandparents about the horrors of war & the bravery of those who fought, but I have no idea what life was like for my great grandparents & those before.
I think it would be good to show this series to future generations & have discussions on them, to find how they feel about people who fought to save their country & whether they would be as dedicated, if it ever happened again?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Not made by BBC, Thames Television did.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Some great scenes.

The one I enjoyed most was the two 90 year olds who parachuted again out of a Dakota.

One was 97 !
They have not lost the courage and feistiness they had as young men !
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 08:19 AM

Operation Tiger

I only found out yesterday that over 700 American servicemen died in a rehearsal for the D Day landings off the coast of Devon .

This was kept secret so as not to compromise the invasion .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_Tiger
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 08:50 AM

Some very poignant moments yesterday and this morning, my wife and I both had the tissues out at times...

Thank you seems hardly enough for such selfless courage.

RIP to you all.....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 09:07 AM

I watched the proceedings yesterday thinking of a late friend who was one of the airborne forces parachuted in to take Pegasus Bridge . He never mentioned it, the first we knew about it was when he died.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 09:10 AM

Just a couple of miles from where I live is the Silvan Memorial to the men of the Canadian third division who were camped here prior to their departure on D Day. It was at this spot where Padre Kieth Purdue conducted a service for them. In April 1944 he set up a pine cross on this spot. Today a sturdy oak cross stands on the same spot along with a Canadian National flag as a memorial to all those men who lost their lives in the Normandy landings.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top