Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 09:21 AM

Re: 75 years since D Day

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Yes muddy, operation tiger a rehearsal for d day, German e boats happened upon them and engaged the ships and landing craft, in the confusion our own sides fired on each other.. there’s a memorial to them on slapton sands, Ken small , ( a hull lad who moved down there) kept finding military items on the beach, he wanted to find out more, but it took years to eventually find something out, it was still covered in secrecy, many years after the war..he was responsible for the memorial to the servicemen who died, a Sherman tank, that was found a few miles from the shore, stands as a reminder to these men...
Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Thank you Primus .
I would not have known but for a novel I was reading that I picked up at random from a charity book rack.
By complete chance it was about the D Day landings .
I couldn't believe that this could have happened and first thought that it was fiction .

How many other things are kept secret from the public I wonder?
Yes I remember hearing about that in recent years.

I am sure there must be lots of mistakes and accidents that we haven't heard of, at least, not yet.
I suppose that they couldn't publicise such things because of the immense damage to morale it would have caused, even several years after the end of the war.

There might be reasons of national security as well, I suppose, but there might, I hate to say, also be cover-ups, to protect people still alive who made bad decisions? (I wouldn't have thought there'd be any left by now, though).
Who knows?

Some information can't be published for...is it 75 years? And other levels of info for probably even longer lengths of time.
Things will eventually come out, but we probably won't be around to hear them!

Plus, they always say that history is written by the victors, don't they?

We always think of the war years of people pulling together and helping each other, but there was a programme or two which pointed out how much crime still went on, and murders, etc., as if people didn't have enough to worry about!

Loads of marriages broke up, due to the strain of separation, etc., and even ones that didn't break up were often marred by the scars born by returning soldiers.

Oh dear! I've rambled on!

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top