Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 02:52 PM

Re: My Wonderful?? Welsh Holiday.

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Shropshire Girl, when on holiday I never have i pad or phone for internet, I read a book. Daughter has both the former. We tend to do things like wander around town centres & shop.

One year we went to Winchester, it's a lovely city, but, we didn't stay long as the whole place was plagued by flying ants swarming in their thousands, it was horrible. I had never seen so many all at once. I have never been back there.
Tiffany, I probably wouldn't use the mobile whilst on holiday, I took two books with me to read, there was also a cupboard full of books at the property, but unfortunately, the weather was against us this time, and I do like to have a means of being contacted in the event of an emergency at home. The wifi didn't concern me much at all, it was just the phone.
The nearest public phone and signal were both in the resort a mile away. Not good at all. Don't like to be that isolated with no means of communication with the outside world, it made me feel rather vulnerable, although I didn't mention this to HWMO of course.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Yes, that would irritate us too. A couple of years ago, we rented a holiday cottage in The Trossachs. Wonderful. Everything just worked. WiFi, phone coverage, big garden....
Ideal with lots of places to walk with the hairy hound.
See Besoeker, you went off to the Scottish Highlands with all of its barren beauty and yet you were so lucky and able to obtain WiFi and phone coverage. I couldn't get a peep out of either even though only 2.1/2 hours away from home. Ridiculous! The phone companies should sort this out before bragging about their new 5G. They continue to ignore rural areas and concentrate on cities and towns. Rather unfair.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

07-06-2019, 03:29 PM

OMG, I knew there was another holiday mishap I forgot to mention in my saga.

When we had our none delivery, we headed over to the Asda supermarket in the resort. Found a disabled parking space directly in front of the main entrance. Good start.

Now, as I have my shopping delivered every week, I have no need of my Debit or Credit card as my details are already stored online so usually it is just a case of entering the three digits on the card. But here we were, doing what I haven't done for ages, actually shopping in-store. I didn't trust HWMO to do the shop on his own, god forbid! so he elected to stay in the car with the dogs while I went and did the shop. He explained it would be okay to use his Debit card as no signature needed. I asked him TWICE what was his security number to punch in the machine. Two of the figures were a high number and the other two numbers were lower numbers. Really easy to remember once told. So off I toddled with my trolley. I ended up at the freezer cabinets at the far end of the supermarket. Thankfully it wasn't that busy at that time of day so went to the nearest checkout. I dutifully bought 4 for life bags and loaded my shopping into them. I then proceeded to put HWMO's card into the machine, waited for the proceed message, punched in the four easy to remember digits in, only to see the message CARD DECLINED message come up! OMG, I thought I must have pressed the wrong digit somewhere. The check out lady was very helpful and told me which button to press to do it again, which I did very very carefully, only to see the same message come up again - CARD DECLINED! WOT! I was just about to cancel to do it again when the check out assistant stopped me and said "If you do it again and get the same message, you will not be able to use the card again!" I was mortified and thoroughly embarrassed by this time, and to make matters worse, someone else had come with their shopping to the till and could see what was going on. I just handed the card to the check out lady, asked her to keep hold of it for a moment until I got my husband to come in and sort it out. (even the security guard by the exit seemed to be looking at me suspiciously, although it was all in my mind). I went out to the car, gave HWMO a really dirty look, explained what had happened, told him it was the very end till, she had his card and to go and sort it out toot sweet. Then I sat in the car fuming!

Anyway, he came out with the trolley full of our shopping a few minutes later with a sheepish grin on his face. "Sorry Love, I must have given you the numbers the wrong way round, the lower two digits were first, the higher two digits last. Aargh! I could have killed him at that moment! but I buttoned my lip and just grimaced instead. We had after all, been through enough the day before on our arrival.

As I said, what a palava! and why me?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 03:30 PM

Very patchy up here trying to get a phone signal, I think the weather messes it up at times, some days you get one and the next day you go to the same place and get nothing. I have no signal at the front of our house but go round to the kitchen door and you get 4 bars. Also the signal has big gaps with nothing along the coast, as for going into the hills or forests forget it and hope you don't need to make a cal
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 04:04 PM

Oh gawd, Shrops!! Whatever next.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
See Besoeker, you went off to the Scottish Highlands with all of its barren beauty and yet you were so lucky and able to obtain WiFi and phone coverage.
Maybe you should go there next time............

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 06:35 PM

Shropshiregirl, though your vacation was not quite what you anticipated, the cottage sounds nearly perfect, especially for the dogs, and it made for a thoroughly entertaining read. I am glad that you are none the worse for wear .

Now you know why, when others are calling them holidays, trips, breaks, or vacations....

I always call them adventures.

Nothing ever quite goes at planned, but that's half the fun.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 07:35 PM

Hi

Shroppie, love it.

It is so funny,

Next year go on holiday in Shropshire, on the canal in Whitchurch.

If it is good enough for Harrison Ford to fly over from America, it must be worth the 30 minute drive for you and HWMO.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 08:34 PM

My idea of a holiday is staying at home enjoying uninterrupted peace and quiet. I read as much as I want, mess around on the computer upgrading parts as a treat to myself, go to the gym every day if I want to and - the best bit - sleeping as much as I want after a lifetime of having to get up for work. It also makes up for having to give up MY holidays because the wife wanted some pointless decorating or DIY doing.

Now, I spend two weeks just indulging myself and forget everyone else. Bliss.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 10:46 PM

SG, l loved your story. At first when you couldn’t find the key, l thought you were at the wrong house!

The weather wouldn’t have bothered me as l think just being away is nice.

I did identify with your fear that the birds of prey would take your dogs. When the trio of Buzzards hover over my garden, l make sure my hens are safely in the coop. I imagine them swooping down and taking one of my hens!

My ex husband was always ill or something else happened whilst on holiday! The worst was when we were due to fly out to Majorca and he came home after a friendly cricket match, with his two front teeth missing.
He had hit the ball with the bat but it ricocheted back, hitting him in the mouth and knocked his two top teeth out.That holiday was one to remember!
Then there was the holiday just before l had my fourth baby and he got pharyngitis.....
Then the one, when he broke his hand.
Then the one when he lost his contact lens on the dance floor, the floor was cleared whilst we searched but someone had trod on it...
Then the one where he backed into a German tourist’s brand new, top of the range Mercedes and wrote it off....
Then the one on the Norfolk broads and he dropped the bunch of keys, including his office keys, our car keys and the boat keys. They hovered precariously at the side of the water’s edge!
The list is endless, hence why we called him a ‘walking disaster’!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top