Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 11:16 AM

Re: Forks

It does sound an interesting program, Pyxell.
You can still eat with your fingers if you go into McD's & fish & chips at the seaside.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
It does sound an interesting program, Pyxell.
You can still eat with your fingers if you go into McD's & fish & chips at the seaside.

I have only eaten in McD's once, in the 80s, and almost threw up. This is speaking as the food garbage bin that I was then... would eat anything! But that burger turned my stomach!

Fish and Chips with fingers was always ok! But I don't eat fish now! Poor, wriggling, suffocating things.

Chips are ok, though! They taste better eaten with fingers! (Why is that? Never understood it!)

I went to the States in the 70s, and this was before McD's had taken off over here.
I was in a restaurant, and decided to have a burger. It arrived on a plate , with salad and gherkins and tomatoes and stuff, but no cutlery, so I asked for a knife and fork, was given them, (albeit with a peculiar look), and started eating it, cutting it up with the knife and fork, as you did then.

Then I noticed people coming to the round window in the door leading to the kitchen and looking and laughing.

I asked a waitress what was I doing that was so funny? She told me it was because I was eating a burger with a knife and fork.

In my ignorance, I asked how I was supposed to eat it, and she explained that in the States you piled all the salad, pickle and relish etc. onto the burger and ate it with your fingers.

Well, I was mortified, so even though she said it was nice to see someone eating 'properly', I decided that when in Rome, etc., and duly piled everything into the bun and munched away with the fingers.

That was then.
(Those were the days when spaghetti was served naked on the plate with the sauce just spooned in a heap on top. )
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 02:06 PM

The problem with eating burger stacks with the fingers is everything falls out of the edges & onto your lap, the table & anyone sitting near you.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 02:23 PM

The problem with eating burger stacks with the fingers is everything falls out of the edges & onto your lap, the table & anyone sitting near you.
You have to use fingers 3, 4, and 5 of each hand as a sort of 'cage', spread around the sides and back of the burger to contain the contents, as you use the thumbs and index fingers to steer the front of the burger into the jaws of hell.

Probably easier to use a knife and fork.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

21-06-2019, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
You have to use fingers 3, 4, and 5 of each hand as a sort of 'cage', spread around the sides and back of the burger to contain the contents, as you use the thumbs and index fingers to steer the front of the burger into the jaws of hell.

Probably easier to use a knife and fork.
That makes sense. I'll have to try that. But my hands aren't big enough.
Pyxell
South of England

21-06-2019, 03:38 PM

That makes sense. I'll have to try that. But my hands aren't big enough.
Buy a smaller burger!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

21-06-2019, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Buy a smaller burger!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top