Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 06:49 AM

Re: Cookery Books.

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I can understand the English reluctance to eat bought pies having eaten those revolting Walls pies in the distant past but in Australia pies are an art form available for every occasion at every shop (and they are HOT)

No mad cows here.

Bruce,..I am talking "homemade "..not shop bought.

I also made an Australian pie made with Angus beef mince cheese on top....hot water crust pastry,....delicious,..so much so,I have orders from my friends to bake them one....
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 07:02 AM

My son in law alway requests my beef in ale pie....I slow cook the beef so it's really tender....and a pie isn't a pie unless it's got a pie base and a top....always pre-cook and seel the base before adding the beef and the pie crust....jobs a good un

I've got lots of cookery books but I usually look at the idea of a recipe then do my own thing....my family have big appetites...I never follow their portion sizes....if I'm cooking for four I look for recipes for six.....we"re a greedy lot in Yorkshire
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 11:27 AM

That looks delicious Pauline. I've never thought of making pastry with lard myself so must try that, but I remember the best mince pies I've ever tasted were made by a friend's mum with lard. They were melt in your mouth amazing.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Bruce,..I am talking "homemade "..not shop bought.
I know - that was my point, you have to make them because your shop bought ones are absolute rubbish whereas our shop bought ones are practically perfect in every way.

Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I can understand the English reluctance to eat bought pies having eaten those revolting Walls pies in the distant past but in Australia pies are an art form available for every occasion at every shop (and they are HOT) . . . No mad cows here.
Hmmm but let's check those ingredients eh?

Ingredients:

Angus beef (29%), water, wheat flour, margarine (animal fats and oils, water, salt, emulsifiers (322 (soy), 471), flavour, antioxidant (306 (soy)), colour (160a), acidity regulators (330, 331)), thickeners (1422, 412), carrots, reconstituted onions, soy flour, salt, hydrolysed vegetable protein, rice flour, spices, vegetable powder, colours (150c, 160a), mineral salts (500, 341, 450), sugar, emulsifier (481), maltodextrin, flavours, milk solids.

So less than 30% actual beef
Margarine rather than butter (no thanks!)
Something called "flavour" with no definition !
e numbers galore !
colours
soy products

13.6 grams of fat
7.2 grams saturated fat

No thanks. I'll think we Brits will carry on making our own pies. If that's "art" I think you be better off with your Rolf Harris!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Hmmm but let's check those ingredients eh?
**** off
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 12:27 PM

Tomorrow I will be baking a chicken,cheese and bacon pie.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
You must have an amazing memory Realist. I often try little tweaks with dishes but i will only remember all the details if i write them down. I have so many other things to remember for my job that my brain is creaking!
No my memory isn't any better than the average person.

Cooking is about established techniques, not volumes and quantities imo.

Take making soup. Do you need a recipe to make soup?
Nope.

Basic principles. Fry off the ingredients (usually vegetables) for flavour
Boil the vegetables
Add an appropriate source of stock
Season
Blitz with a blender stick
etc etc

Making a meat stew

Choose the right meat (shin beef, lamb shank, mutton, venison etc)
Fry off the meat first to brown surfaces and a bunch of onions
Whack in slow cooker
Add red or white wine as appropriate for the meat
Throw in vegetables like squash, parsnips, mushrooms etc
Add flavours like worcester sauce, plenty of herbs and seasoning and stock cubes
A good glug of port for richness etc

No recipe. Just same principles used throughout.

Making Spag Bol or Chilli

Fry off onions and mince
Add garlic, chopped mushrooms
Maybe some chopped courgettes
Throw in good passata or chopped tomatoes (Cirio)

The point is there are no real rules. You make dishes up as you go using what ingredients you have but following the same basic principles

Bread is no different

Mix up flour, salt, yeast and water according to how wet ro dry you want your dough

Stretch (or knead) the dough over the first 40 mins

Let dough prove anywhere from 1.5 hrs to 24 hrs depending on type of bread you want

Shape into boule or log, put in banneton or tin

Let rise again for another 30mins or so

Then bake

No rules. Just an understanding of what the various ingredients do in that whole equation.

Nobody needs a recipe to make a glass of orange juice. You instinctively know or learn that if you put too much cordial in the glass then it will taste too strong or too sweet.

Make a cup of tea and you know how much milk to put in. More milk = milky tea, less mashing = weak tea, more = stronger tea. etc etc

If you approach your cooking in this way you can create a myriad of great tasting dishes successfully without ever needing a cookery book.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

30-06-2019, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->

Telling someone to #€^* off,isn't nice Bruce and quite childish to be honest.
I didn't say "#€^* off" which would have been childish, I said "**** off" quite a different thing entirely.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

30-06-2019, 12:44 PM

Interesting Aussie article from the Sydney Herald

https://www.smh.com.au/national/test...111-30nl4.html

"The government standard for meat pies is 25 per cent ''fat-free flesh''. Fat-free flesh is described by Food Standards Australia New Zealand guidelines as being the skeletal muscle of a slaughtered animal, and can include animal rind, fat and connective nerves, blood, blood vessels and, in the case of poultry, skin."

"University of Sydney dietitian Alice Gibson said meat pies had little nutritional value when compared with lean meat.

''The product contains about 25 per cent meat and all the rest is water, refined carbohydrates, fat and salt,'' she said.

''The most common ingredient in meat pies is water. The rest of the ingredients will be pastry, gravy and vegetable protein.''

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top