Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 10:43 PM

Washing Clothes too Much

Stella McCartney thinks we all wash our clothes too much and we should just brush the dirt out of them, excluding underwear of course.

Too much washing of clothes weakens the fibres and is bad for the environment with the chemicals in soap powders.

Clothes from the Dry Cleaners come back full of chemicals.

Years ago clothes were hung on the line in the fresh air and did not smell.
Knitted garments made with pure wool were worn for a long time before washing by hand.

My granddaughters were a Top or Dress for 5 minutes and it goes in the washing machine. Often three changes of clothes in a Day.
They are lovely girls, but I'm glad they do not live with me.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 10:49 PM

Re: Washing Clothes too Much

Sorry? A fashion designer lecturing us on saving the environment? Do we need all these new fashions every year do you think?
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Sorry? A fashion designer lecturing us on saving the environment? Do we need all these new fashions every year do you think?
Fashions usually come back. Don't they?

Stella's are very costly often £1,000.00 per garment
She does not use animal fur or leather and as Sir Paul's and Linda's daughter she cares about the environment like her Mother did when alive.

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Fashions usually come back. Don't they?

Stella's are very costly often £1,000.00 per garment
She does not use animal fur or leather and as Sir Paul's and Linda's daughter she cares about the environment like her Mother did when alive.

I don't care how ethical she is, she is part of the problem IMO. Having constantly changing fashion is what drives all the waste. What's wrong with classic fashions, good quality material and long lasting clothing? It's not how much you wash it but how long it lasts. At the end of the day the industry is all about shareholder wealth and not sustainability. Why should we have to pay £1000's for something that lasts?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 11:22 PM

I have tee shirts, Mountain make & they are hard wearing, wash & dry & last years, unless they are grown out of. I am clumsy & often spill stuff down my clothing therefore they need washing once worn, plus they get smelly.

I agree about fashion designers, if the fashion didn't change so much there wouldn't be so much of a problem. People who buy designer clothing have no intention of wearing it more than once anyway.
Some of the posher areas have charity shops with lots of designer clothing at a fraction of the original cost. Sadly not here.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Stella McCartney thinks we all wash our clothes too much and we should just brush the dirt out of them, excluding underwear of course.

Too much washing of clothes weakens the fibres and is bad for the environment with the chemicals in soap powders.

Clothes from the Dry Cleaners come back full of chemicals.

Years ago clothes were hung on the line in the fresh air and did not smell.
Knitted garments made with pure wool were worn for a long time before washing by hand.

My granddaughters were a Top or Dress for 5 minutes and it goes in the washing machine. Often three changes of clothes in a Day.
They are lovely girls, but I'm glad they do not live with me.
Good post.
People do wash clothes too much.
( my grandchildren are the same aided by their other grandma who has no idea of the effect on the environment )
Washing cycles are too long too.
Half the stuff only needs a very short cool wash.
People are rediculous about clothles and there is too much chemicals in everything .
You can buy these balls that you put in the machine so you don't need any washing soap at all.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I have tee shirts, Mountain make & they are hard wearing, wash & dry & last years, unless they are grown out of. I am clumsy & often spill stuff down my clothing therefore they need washing once worn, plus they get smelly.

I agree about fashion designers, if the fashion didn't change so much there wouldn't be so much of a problem. People who buy designer clothing have no intention of wearing it more than once anyway.
Some of the posher areas have charity shops with lots of designer clothing at a fraction of the original cost. Sadly not here.
I don't know anyone who buys designer clothes just once - barring some of our Royals of course,
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2019, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I don't know anyone who buys designer clothes just once - barring some of our Royals of course,
People who buy pricey designer clothing can afford to never wear whatever more than once, they like to be seen in a different outfit each time. A lot of them do give cast offs to charity shops.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

10-07-2019, 12:22 AM

Where I live people do wear expensive country garb .
They probaby wear it for 20 years !
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

10-07-2019, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Where I live people do wear expensive country garb .
They probaby wear it for 20 years !
Country wear is different, I mean posh frocks, clothing they'd wear to a film premier, Ascot or Henley. The so called A list people.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top