Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2019, 11:38 PM

Those Bastard Greeks and Italians

As part of the ongoing free trade agreement negotiations with the EU the wonderful Australian prosecco, feta and parmesan have come under threat.

The French already stopped Australian wine producers using the name Champagne because, as every one knows, Australian Champagne was better than the pathetic French stuff so Australian producers were forced to call it the far less alluring Sparkling Wine. Now these other damn foreigners are trying on the same trick.

Even changing the spelling might not work.

Where will it end? We might have to send a gunboat gumboot.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-...trade/11185078
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2019, 11:56 PM

Re: Those Bastard Greeks and Italians

Bad thing innit?
Send a Gumbud to sort 'em oot
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 12:16 AM

This has been the case for many many years elsewhere. Only in France can you call it champagne. The Greek own the term Feta cheese and so on. It's been the case for some 5 to 10 years, nothing new.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 12:22 AM

Cornish pasties are another one. Only those made in Cornwall can use the word 'Cornish' on the packaging. All others are simply pasties.
Same as Melton Mowbray pork pies. That town has to have something going for it doesn't it. hence the passionate guarding of their pies.
And Pukka pies. They only come from Pukka pigs found in the deepest jungles of Pakistan.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 01:28 AM

Only thing I have to say is this. HOw much difference will it really make - in Australia or Europe - what name you give something. If it keeps somebody in business, tastes good and it's value for what you pay for it? Personally I prefer Australian Feta/ Fetta over Greek because it stays together and tastes better. And Australia red wine tastes better and has more body and depth than anything I have drunk overseas. I'm not saying it's better per se. I'm not a wine critic. I just like it more myself. I think if something tastes good, people will buy it. THat's that. Whatever the red wine is I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. (Or a gumboot)
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
This has been the case for many many years elsewhere. Only in France can you call it champagne. The Greek own the term Feta cheese and so on. It's been the case for some 5 to 10 years, nothing new.
Apparently, Yorkshire Forced Rhubarb, granted Protected Geographical Status under European Union law in 2010, may be produced only within the Rhubarb Triangle (an area between Leeds, Wakefield and Bradford) using traditional methods.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Apparently, Yorkshire Forced Rhubarb, granted Protected Geographical Status under European Union law in 2010, may be produced only within the Rhubarb Triangle (an area between Leeds, Wakefield and Bradford) using traditional methods.
And when you enter those rhubarb sheds you can actually hear the rhubarb growing...it's very peculiar a sort of rustling sound.....only in Yorkshire
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 08:31 AM

If an area of the world produces a food product that many people admire, it is probably misleading to call it by the same name, if made elsewhere.
However, if another part of the world follow the same recipe, I can't see what harm it does by giving the same name but making sure that it is clearly labelled " made in ...."

Many people make Shepherds pie with minced beef, including my mum, so I was shocked to hear that it is really Cottage pie, as a child!

As with all marketing strategies. it is all about how much money you make, but I am sure the Aussies always think their food is best, so I don't think it will reduce sales there!
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
And Pukka pies. They only come from Pukka pigs found in the deepest jungles of Pakistan.

Nice one Floydy.
I know Leicester is a nest for Pakistani's but I never knew there were actually deepest jungles up there to.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
As part of the ongoing free trade agreement negotiations with the EU the wonderful Australian prosecco, feta and parmesan have come under threat.

The French already stopped Australian wine producers using the name Champagne because, as every one knows, Australian Champagne was better than the pathetic French stuff so Australian producers were forced to call it the far less alluring Sparkling Wine. Now these other damn foreigners are trying on the same trick.

Even changing the spelling might not work.

Where will it end? We might have to send a gunboat gumboot.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-...trade/11185078
Personally Bruce I feel the problem lies with the marketing strategy of the Australians.

I mean who the hell came up with the name Sparkling Wine for starters.
Surely they could have thought of a more enticing name than that.
Something that grabs the punters attention when looking on the shelves or in the catalogues.
Sparkling Wine is as common as Sparkling Water.
The French did it right from the beginning Champagne is a top of the range drink for toff's for weddings for any kind of party even for the launching of ships. You always use French Champagne.
No you Aussies need to sit down and think of something that will make people realise that you Aussies have a drink for all occasions and not try and nick that credit off others.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top