Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 10:11 AM

Re: American flag

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
There is absolutely no pressure here to change the flag. There was a competition many years ago during the republican push to design a new flag but the results were mediocre and it just died a death because of lack of interest. I think most people are happy with the Australian flag, Union flag and all.

It's the National Anthem that needs changing there is certainly a rising, but not overwhelming, pressure for that (likewise Australia Day) - I suspect both those things will happen before the flag is changed.
With respect to our flag yes there may not be demonstrations in the street about it. Pressure is the wrong word. I think there is still a significant number of people who would like to see the flag stay the same just without the UJ. It's simple. No new design needed. Just take it off. I remember the flag change era. No indeed, nobody liked the "art contest" for a flag including me. I said then and I say now, the winner is right there already - just ditch the Jack BUt I don't buy the old "My Father/ grandfather fought under that flag! etc" What about Canada?..They fought under a Union Jack too. They didn't mind changing. Kenya?..South Africa?..And their flags are magnificent. MY father and Grandfather fought under the present Oz flag too. No problem for me. With respect to the anthem?..Yes I think Song of Australia would have been better. But best of all "I Am Australian" sung in English and an Aboriginal Language chosen by a panel of first peoples. Australia Day?...THat one has me stumped. UNdecided so far.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 10:24 AM

I love the way Americans fly their flag from their front porches .
Also the way it is just generally flown just great
Wish we could do that .
Upsetting other nationalities , what tosh !!

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 10:36 AM

I remember visiting the Betsy Ross House in Philadelphia. She made the first American flag I seem to remember.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 10:43 AM

I actually have far distant (relationship wise) relatives in the USA. one day a few years back I got a letter from one of them trying to find relatives in the UK and found me. They not only wanted any information on relatives i knew of but also gave a lot of information on their American side

Read the letter I was in for a surprise. In it they claimed that one of the ancestors was at the Battle of the Little Big Horn with Custer

Apparently they were camping in the next field and went over to complain about the noise
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I actually have far distant (relationship wise) relatives in the USA. one day a few years back I got a letter from one of them trying to find relatives in the UK and found me. They not only wanted any information on relatives i knew of but also gave a lot of information on their American side

Read the letter I was in for a surprise. In it they claimed that one of the ancestors was at the Battle of the Little Big Horn with Custer

Apparently they were camping in the next field and went over to complain about the noise

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top