Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Indy
New Member!
US
Indy is male 

16-07-2019, 05:18 PM

How to Measure Success?

As I was growing up I thought that in order to be successful I needed to Work Real Hard to Make A Lot of Money. With the money you bought stuff, which would make you happy.

As I got older I worked real hard made a good amount of money. I was some what happy, but did not feel real successful.

I married the Woman of my Dreams, which did make me feel successful. The problem was I was still working really hard to make a lot of money with the hope that when I passed my Bride would have a good life.

Our plans did not work out that way. My Bride has now passed and I wished that instead of working hard to make money, I would have preferred to just spend more time with her.

So now I find myself again trying to find that Success. I feel that I have been more successful than most, since I was married to the Woman of My Dreams, but is there more?

While my Bride was alive she tried to make me realize that it is not how much you make, where you live, or how high you move up the corporate ladder that determines success. It is more about the lives you have touched along your journey.

Any thoughts or words of Wisdom?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 08:36 PM

Re: How to Measure Success?

I think everyone's perception of success is different

I haven't ever had any cash to spare but at the same time I have never owed anyone a penny (except for a mortgage) . Having reached the end years of my life I have found contentment, I guess that is my sucess
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 09:01 PM

I think you were very successful.You found someone to love.Someone you regarded more than yourself.It didn't last as long as you wanted but that's not your fault.I've never been one for plans,life always seems to get in the way..You were obviously fortunate to have the love of a very special person.Good luck for the future.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 11:46 PM

When enough people who you see as successful tell you that you are a success. Then you probably are. As long as they are a diverse bunch. Not all about money.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 04:31 AM

I always measure it in millimetres.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010797.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	10273  
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 07:31 AM

No one can have everything, "everything" is a fallacy!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 07:43 AM

Success is very subjective, it very much depends on your aims and aspirations. If you achieve these then you have been successful in that area, another person though may not see that as success.

There are negatives and positives in everything. Work hard and for long hours and you may achieve material possessions but lose out on relationships with family and friends. Be a lazy person in that respect and you may have the relationships but lose them as you are not providing what is expected.

If you can have success in meeting your aims and aspirations and be happy too, then you probably could be seen to have been successful.

Horses for courses, as the old saying goes!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 08:00 AM

Staying upright, on your feet could be construed as success.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 08:11 AM

Hi Indy , as I read your post I feel deep thoughts and emotion in those words now words of wisdom a little like me really when I look back on my life .

One thing I do know now is that life doesn't turn out for many as they would have wished ( we think we are in control but were not ) when we have it all we want more , and forget the moments are precious .

Also I've learned life is painful and at some time in life one is always going to be left here alone .

My for what they are worth words of wisdom are

You say your trying to find success again, but you never will find it ,because it doesn't exist , for what is success ? Why not try and find yourself and in that finding you may find contentment and hopefully joy . Life isn't about money ,houses ,cars in the end as you have found out ,even though it must have been wonderful and something we all would have loved , but material things are just things and being alone with them is empty and a hole that cant be filled .

Remember the words of your bride
" it is more about the lives you have touched along
your journey "

All the very best
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 08:33 AM

If at first you don't succeed redefine success.

Seriously, think about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top