Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 12:14 PM

Happy 100th Birthday Betty

World famous tea-room Betty's based in Harrogate is 100 years old this month. Opened by Swiss baker and chocolatier Fritz Bützer (named changed later to Belmont) in 1919, the shop and its many branches are as popular today as when they first opened.

Fat Rascal anyone?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...shire-49005038
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 12:18 PM

Re: Happy 100th Birthday Betty

I can't believe that place is still going. We went there once years ago and were not impressed with it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I can't believe that place is still going. We went there once years ago and were not impressed with it.
You should see the queues outside the York branch each day - for bot the shop and the cafe. It is certainly a tourist attraction - but, I have to say, I find it over rated.

The last time I was in a 'Betty's' was in Harlow Carr Gardens. Had gone with a friend for the day and we just wanted a drink and sandwich. The prices were so extortionate we did stay.

I don't mind paying for quality - but will not pay just for a name.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
You should see the queues outside the York branch each day - for bot the shop and the cafe. It is certainly a tourist attraction - but, I have to say, I find it over rated.

The last time I was in a 'Betty's' was in Harlow Carr Gardens. Had gone with a friend for the day and we just wanted a drink and sandwich. The prices were so extortionate we did stay.

Same here.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 02:35 PM

It's like The Magpie fish and chip shop in Whitby, Tabby. Blinkered morons queue all the way up the seafront for this one restaurant, just because some fancy TV chef said it was good once.
I go to the place next door which has the same fish from the same sea and tastes exactly the same. I trhen walk past the queue for the Magpie really enjoying tucking into my gorgeous platter while they wait in the rain.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
It's like The Magpie fish and chip shop in Whitby, Tabby. Blinkered morons queue all the way up the seafront for this one restaurant, just because some fancy TV chef said it was good once.
I go to the place next door which has the same fish from the same sea and tastes exactly the same. I then walk past the queue for the Magpie really enjoying tucking into my gorgeous platter while they wait in the rain.
You little rascal, Floydy! I do agree with you though.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 02:57 PM

Those Fat rascals...look yummy....I am going to,try the recipe..I was surprised to see lard in the ingredients.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 03:58 PM

You little rascal, Floydy! I do agree with you though.
It's all to do with common sense, Tabby. Some people don't have too much of it unfortunately
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 04:45 PM

Haven’t been to Betty’s for years, interestingly in Betty’s at York ( I think) they have a mirror from the war, which Canadian aircrew ( or it may have been french aircrew) etched their names into it, not sure if it’s still on display
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
World famous tea-room Betty's based in Harrogate is 100 years old this month. Opened by Swiss baker and chocolatier Fritz Bützer (named changed later to Belmont) in 1919, the shop and its many branches are as popular today as when they first opened.

Fat Rascal anyone?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...shire-49005038
Never been but it's got some good reviews on trip advisor, happy birthday to them! 100 years wow that's what I call a successful business!

Do you know, I ve never been to Harrogate and it's not that far away is it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top