Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 05:27 PM

Power of Attorney

Since there’s a thread about wills and estates, I thought it would be interesting to have a thread about POA’s.

What do you know about them?
How do they work?
Do you have one in place?

How did you decide on the person you picked?

What problems can go wrong regarding POA.

Share whatever information you know along with any stories answering whatever questions you’d like.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 05:56 PM

Re: Power of Attorney

I have 2 Lasting Powers of Attorney. One is financial and the other is health and welfare.

I took them out following my husband's death in 2010 when I also made a will.

My sister in law is the main attorney for the financial one with my sister as back up and the roles are reversed on the health and welfare one (the reason being I trust my sister to switch off life support if it was ever necessary whereas my sister in law would be reluctant to make that decision).

I know in the UK you can get these things done online but I did mine through my solicitor while sorting out my will.

I'm not sure about anything that could go wrong with them, I hope I have all bases covered.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 06:18 PM

My husband and I had them drawn up after his brain haemorrhage in 2006. I have POA where he is concerned and our children have it in my case.

We made wills when we married in 1969, and have adjusted them from time to time over the last 50 years.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 07:22 PM

It is something I have considered doing - but it is so expensive. Have made a very detailed will though.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 11:41 PM

I suppose you need to be very careful about who you choose for fear they might take advantage of your circumstances
That's all I know because when I made my original will and asked about it the solicitor said I didn't need to be thinking about that at the moment at my age.
Maybe when I make my new will I will ask again .
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
I suppose you need to be very careful about who you choose for fear they might take advantage of your circumstances
That's all I know because when I made my original will and asked about it the solicitor said I didn't need to be thinking about that at the moment at my age.
Maybe when I make my new will I will ask again .
ABSOLUTELY! That’s one thing today that I do know without a doubt. You need to really trust the person you pick as POA because they ultimately can take away ALL your rights as well as your money. They could put you in any long term health care facility, making it easier for them while they spend all your money.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
ABSOLUTELY! That’s one thing today that I do know without a doubt. You need to really trust the person you pick as POA because they ultimately can take away ALL your rights as well as your money. They could put you in any long term health care facility, making it easier for them while they spend all your money.
Scary thought!

It can also cause rifts in a family. The husband of one of my friend's has been diagnosed with Cerebral Vascular Dementia. She was receiving some help from two of his daughters (from previous marriage) who live nearby. They would take him out to give her a day off now and then. As soon as she signed the POA forms - they said he was entirely her responsibility now and have withdrawn all help. They don't even telephone him any more.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

18-07-2019, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Scary thought!

It can also cause rifts in a family. The husband of one of my friend's has been diagnosed with Cerebral Vascular Dementia. She was receiving some help from two of his daughters (from previous marriage) who live nearby. They would take him out to give her a day off now and then. As soon as she signed the POA forms - they said he was entirely her responsibility now and have withdrawn all help. They don't even telephone him any more.
It certainly CAN cause rifts in the family. Some family members will try and get their own POA document written up and succeed. The main problem with this is that it takes away all the financial, healthcare rights , property rights to the person who is POA. If the person is greedy then they aren’t going to reinburst anyone for their time and effort. Yes of course family should not expect money but if children live far away gas is expensive. General house cleaning and maintenance both inside and outside takes time and money.

Food and other items needed costs money.

Then of course some people are only helping out hoping to get POA and once they don’t get it, back out.

It’s unfair to the people in need of help but just shows how pretentious and greedy some can be.

POA gives a LOT of POWER and in the wrong hands can be disastrous.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

18-07-2019, 06:52 AM

My big question is:

I understand that the POA doesn’t kick in until the elders are incapacitated.
This takes a capacity test to determine.

Shouldn’t the person with the title of POA be caring for them BEFORE incapacitation occurs since it doesn’t just happen overnight?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 06:57 AM

What if the Attorneys go first?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top