Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 10:20 PM

Re: Where were you..?

I was at a family picnic on the River Dart with my family, some one had brought a radio along and the news gave out a bulletin to say that
Marylin Monroe had been found dead, everyone was so shocked.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 10:37 PM

I ain't got a clue, there was probably a local crisis going on at the time.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 11:10 PM

The one that really sticks in my mind is the Apollo 13 thing.
I had a day off work and spent it watching as they got them back.That was very tense.
I heard about Elvis on the John Peel radio show.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 11:27 PM

Our radio alarm switched itself on to announce the news that the Princess of Wales had been killed. 'Did you hear that?' my wife asked 'The Princess of Wales has been killed.' Apparently I replied 'Who's that?.'
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 12:03 AM

I was walking past a tv shop on my way home to the station near where I worked when the twin towers were being shown. A colleague had shouted it out at work just as a plane went into the tower, but who could have known at that point that the whole building would fall apart. There was a little crowd outside the tv shop and that's what made me stop too. It was surreal. We had a New York office at that company and the husband of someone who worked there died in the attack.

I was at school in the playground when I heard Elvis had died. I don't remember feeling anything.

I was in bed with my previous OH, I think he went to make some tea and he came and told me Princess Diana had died as he'd heard it on the radio. That was such a shock. I think it was a Sunday morning and I can still picture the room the white bed sheets and feel the emotions. Funny how you can visualise such things.

I don't remember the moon landings - I was still in nappies! But I was strongly influenced by the space obsession of the early to mid 70s. I had two career ambitions as a child - to be an astronaut or to be a gymnast I obviously went into number crunching because you can pretty much do both in such a career!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 07:53 AM

I remember watching the moon landing on our old B&W TV. I remember fuzzy images and strange voices. I was playing with my robots at the time.

When Elvis died, I was on holiday at a campsite somewhere,can't remember where though.

The Thames Marchioness boat disaster, I was again on holiday but in a caravan in Scotland.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 10:38 AM

I remember being out in the garden with my Father when my Mother called us to come in quick as war had been declared
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

19-07-2019, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
I remember being out in the garden with my Father when my Mother called us to come in quick as war had been declared
Did you understand what that meant? Did you sense your parents' worry?
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 10:49 AM

Not at the time but Father did as he fought in the first WW.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Not at the time but Father did as he fought in the first WW.
Yes BB, my three uncles who lived with us then, disappeared soon after, and then arrived a while later on embarkation
leave, and then disappeared again for 4or5 years!

Regards Donkeyman!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top