Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 01:40 AM

Re: Lycra clad cycling groups

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I like that term - Lycra-Louts!

I'm lucky that I don't encounter too many cyclists on my work runs but I do see a few!

I see one character regularly on a bike though; obligatory dark clothing, no lights, hands in pockets so cycling 'freehand', (meaning No Control whatsoever in an emergency!) and he does this every-single-day!

When I was a kid we were told in no uncertain terms that we needed to be seen, needed lights in dark / gloomy conditions, we needed to be in FULL control all the time and we were to respect other Road Users.
Does that no longer apply to today's Cycling Nuts?!! stevmk2

Quite agree Steve. I see no end of idiots in dark clothing, and with either no lights, or else tiny dim things about as much use as a candle would be.
I also blame bicycle manufacturers and the law for allowing such piddly little lights and back reflectors on bikes. They need to be at least twice the size they are now so drivers can spot them quicker. It should also be illegal not to wear something reflective on the cyclist himself (if its not already?).
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I see no end of idiots in dark clothing, and with either no lights, or else tiny dim things about as much use as a candle would be.
I also blame bicycle manufacturers and the law for allowing such piddly little lights and back reflectors on bikes. They need to be at least twice the size they are now so drivers can spot them quicker. It should also be illegal not to wear something reflective on the cyclist himself (if its not already?).
It's not illegal (more's the pity) there are many 'rules' that cyclists break.

The only legalities in the Highway Code are the 'MUSTs' everything else is advisory.

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 06:51 PM

Should be illegal for pedestrians too, we get people walking around the lanes at night & you can't see them until they pop out in front of you! Mind you a lady that walked her dog in the daylight, always wearing a high-viz jacket got killed not long ago!
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 06:58 PM

So basically the considered opinion on this thread seems to be unless you are travelling in your own personal tin can you should stay off the roads unless of course you are taking Fido for his daily defecating walkies.
welshlion
Vale of Glam,Wales,U.K.
welshlion is male  welshlion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
It's not illegal (more's the pity) there are many 'rules' that cyclists break.

The only legalities in the Highway Code are the 'MUSTs' everything else is advisory.

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82
Even so, cyclists should be reminded that the Highway Code applies to them just as much as it does to car users.
I think that's the annoying part about this issue, most of those cyclists in the original post are likely to be hobby cyclists who regularly drive cars, so (in theory at least) they should know better.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
So basically the considered opinion on this thread seems to be unless you are travelling in your own personal tin can you should stay off the roads unless of course you are taking Fido for his daily defecating walkies.
Not exactly I think most of us would be happy if everyone just obeyed the laws/rules of the road and made themselves visible. None of us want to kill anyone which is after all what could happen in a lot of these situations.

Even my dogs have reflective clothing for dark nights and flashing lights on their collars. If I can manage to make them visible must be possible for cyclists and runners etc.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by welshlion ->
Even so, cyclists should be reminded that the Highway Code applies to them just as much as it does to car users.
I think that's the annoying part about this issue, most of those cyclists in the original post are likely to be hobby cyclists who regularly drive cars, so (in theory at least) they should know better.
I agree.....many cyclists are a law unto themselves.

Having said that, there a many motorists too who think that the Highway Code only applies to them when they are learning to drive...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2014, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->

No one has said that at all VM. I read it as cyclists, walkers, joggers etc need to make themselves easily visible, especially so on dark nights, if they want to get home in one piece. They shouldn't need telling that in the first place.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2014, 09:20 AM

Hello rb, and welcome.

I so hate the free cycling ones and often wish they'd lose control and topple over!

Yeah, have to admit don't like groups of them either and can understand the frustration.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2014, 09:39 AM

My point simply is this no group of people whether they be cyclists, walkers, joggers, car drivers, dog walkers, horse riders are all good or all bad what is needed is patience and tolerance and less of the "its not us its all the others" attitude.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top