Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2014, 01:17 PM

Re: Increased charges

I'm not getting into new contracts until I decide if I'm moving out of this flat or not.

ALL my car expenses are due in February (apart from insurance which is renewed today, and I transferred £330 over into my current account from savings yesterday, to cover it. Feb has the service, MOT and tax. Then at the same time, winter bill for electric, the phone and TV licence. As I said before, I reckon on transferring the good part of a £1,000 to cover it all, could be more. A lot depends on how much the car needs servicing - ie no unexpected parts - and the electric.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2014, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I'm not getting into new contracts until I decide if I'm moving out of this flat or not.

ALL my car expenses are due in February (apart from insurance which is renewed today, and I transferred £330 over into my current account from savings yesterday, to cover it. Feb has the service, MOT and tax. Then at the same time, winter bill for electric, the phone and TV licence. As I said before, I reckon on transferring the good part of a £1,000 to cover it all, could be more. A lot depends on how much the car needs servicing - ie no unexpected parts - and the electric.

Come down this part of the world Jan darlin'!!!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2014, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I'm fed up to the teeth with greedy companies putting such big price increases on all our day to day needs.
The water rates went up, gas, electric, and now BT phone rental as well.
My phone contract with BT was £61.80 per qtr until today, but tomorrow it will cost £68.97. It would be £74.22 if I the still want the (previously free) 1571 service! This is a not paltry increase, it's huge and my pension rise in April will not cover anything like all these increases.
I'm especially annoyed because when I phoned BT this evening to get a quote for the new contract, the chap said he could do me better deal and promptly reduced the call plan price by £2.25. I said give me a few minutes to think and I'd ring him back. Half an hour later I phoned back to grudgingly accept only to be told by the next chap, that the first bloke should not have offered me any such thing and he "would be dealt with", as there was no such deal at all! I thought that was pretty appalling service and wonder where I would have stood if I had just accepted straightaway. Would they have had to honour the deal I wonder, or would they have cancelled the new contract?
This kind of treatment to customers always annoys me Mups.
These people have no conscience or morals left, all they want is a continuous stream of money coming in, they don't give a damn if you have to sell your boots and eat cardboard to get the money together, they don't even want to handle money anymore, just take it out of your savings and put it in with the rest of their pile, they just sit there and watch it flowing in and growing, then come bonus day for the lads at the top of the heap when they start rubbing their hand with delight, until next year when they'll be looking for more. same with the gas electricity and oil, they can up the price anytime they like and there is nobody brave enough in power to stand up to them, the people would never stand for this type of arrogant greed when I was a young man. My oh my whatever happened to the decent fair traders of yesteryear.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2014, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Left BT as soon as contract finished, saved about £20 pm with Talk talk.
Yes we're with Talk Talk much cheaper than BT, though I expect them to start charging for 1571 soon and when they do I'll cancel that service.
I refuse to subsidise already very wealthy footballers!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2014, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
This kind of treatment to customers always annoys me Mups.
These people have no conscience or morals left, all they want is a continuous stream of money coming in, they don't give a damn if you have to sell your boots and eat cardboard to get the money together, they don't even want to handle money anymore, just take it out of your savings and put it in with the rest of their pile, they just sit there and watch it flowing in and growing, then come bonus day for the lads at the top of the heap when they start rubbing their hand with delight, until next year when they'll be looking for more. same with the gas electricity and oil, they can up the price anytime they like and there is nobody brave enough in power to stand up to them, the people would never stand for this type of arrogant greed when I was a young man. My oh my whatever happened to the decent fair traders of yesteryear.

I know Jem. I agree with everything you say. It is a worry though.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2014, 08:36 AM

All this swopping providers seems to boil down to this scenario, your original service provider says they will increase your monthly bill from £50.00 to £60.00, you shop around and find a provider who will charge you £55.00, they claim to have saved you a fiver, at which you are pleased, by the same token, someone else who was with your new provider, has done the same with your original provider, net result they are also paying a fiver more, no one has saved nowt, everyone is a fiver worse off.
We don't save money anymore we just mitigate the increase.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2014, 11:30 AM

For once I understand a post from you SF dear. What's more, I tend to agree.
I am so distrustful of many companies now and find that its best not only to listen to what they're offering, but look well for the things they're not!
I almost took a mobile package out recently because it offered free this that and the other, but then I realised they charge more for their calls instead. See what I mean . . .
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2014, 03:55 PM

I wish we had the option of changing suppliers for anything - we have one provider for each so it's put up with the costs or go without. I've lost track of who owns it now (it seems to change hands quite quickly really) but to charge what they do is scandalous.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2014, 01:37 AM

Almost a year ago I had a renewal notice for my car insurance which is due in March. I hadn't taken much notice to be honest, which was stupid of me and I hold my hands up.

They quoted me a stupid amount which I now disremember, but it was in the hundreds of pounds. Now then, my car is a 51 plate, so is just coming up to 13 years old and I've never claimed on my insurance, but it was something daft like £700 a year. I'd been paying monthly by DD you see, so hadn't paid too much attention and, as a pensioner I should have.

Anyway, I spoke to my boss at work about it and he said "bl**dy hell Moll, I don't pay that on my BMW. He went onto the computer and found me something significantly cheaper, at just less than £300 a year with Liverpool Victoria, so I changed my insurer for my car.

Everything's a rip-off in this country so you have to keep a tally on what you're paying.

I recently realised I was £200 in credit with Scottish Power, and I needed that money to get my car through her MoT for the first time, and they sent me a cheque for that amount. Better in my bank for my needs, than theirs.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2014, 11:51 AM

On the news here recently, it was reported that council tax hadn't risen for 7 years, but most people who were asked said that they would happily pay more to get a better service.

I pay a lot less here than I did in Hampshire for a far better service so I'm not complaining about that. However in the same timeframe, my central heating oil has risen about 60%.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top