Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2014, 10:04 AM

A Gaseous Tale !

When I bought my house it had these 'pay as you go' meters in situ for both gas and electricity. To have them changed would have cost £450 per meter - so I left them alone. Up to now - no problem.

Monday I had £10 credit put onto the gas meter card - meter spat it out, wouldn't accept it at all. Gave a "Card fail 35" message. Telephoned British Gas 5 times - got fed up of listening to tinned music and adverts - emailed them - received statutory 'we are dealing with ... You are important ... !' reply.

Tuesday - they telephoned me with the folowing instructions. Go back to the Pay Point and collect a blank card. Put this in the meter and hold it there for 60 seconds to initialise it. Go back to the Pay Point and put £1 credit on the card, put this in the meter before 10:00am on Wednesday and they will download my original £10 credit.

Wednesday - the blank card gave me the same error reading - so back to the Pay Point collect another blank card - same thing happened. Went back to the Pay Point - collected 3 more blank cards - same thing happened! Perhaps I should mention - the Pay Point shop is in the village, is a half mile round trip walk away - and it is pouring wih rain!!

Telephoned British Gas - in a soggy temper - spoke to an actual person - he thinks the meter must be faulty and offered to book an engineer. I ask how long that will take - first appointment is 6th February. I tell him there is only £8 left on the meter which will barely cover heating and cooking for 3 days. He says - use it - let it reduce to 50p and then call again - they will send an engineer within 4 hours !! AArrgghhh !!!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2014, 10:11 AM

Re: A Gaseous Tale !

Oh that's terrible. I have only ever had one of those meters once and it was here when we moved in, they put them in al the flats luckily concerted campaign meant they came and took them all out after 4 weeks and didn't charge us for the change. But those four weeks we were worried where we had moved too was so expensive to heat etc as it was gobbling up at least £10 a week. When we went onto normal meter we found we used £2.50 a week at coldest time of the year ! Real con we thought.

Hope they sort it out quickly for you.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2014, 10:48 AM

I'm sorry to hear this Silver Tabby .. is there no one such as Age Concern or your MP that you could complain to?

To rub salt in - do you have the same advert as me, at the top?
E.ON -Snow is expected - have you topped up your meter?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2014, 10:50 AM

You sometimes have to wonder about the intelligence of these people........things have to reach crisis point before anyone can take action! Incredible !!!
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2014, 11:50 AM

Hope everything gets sorted out for you Silver Tabby it is so annoying when they give you this information they assume everyone has a car or that the pay point is within distance.

We had the same problem one Christmas with our electric meter and we had to keep running back and forward to the pay point as our original card had stopped working. We ended up having to travel a couple of miles to another pay point to get a card from there. Luckily we do have a car but the annoyance factor was great.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2014, 12:25 PM

What ever happened to those meters that took 1/-? Never had a problem with them.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2014, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
What ever happened to those meters that took 1/-? Never had a problem with them.
LOL! That's going back a bit, Bruce !
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2014, 01:18 PM

That's disgusting service from British Gas

I hope something can be sorted out for you soon Silver Tabby...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 06:15 PM

If you change suppliers they make disconnect or change the meters for you when they take over.
Moiramary
Lincoln
Moiramary is female  Moiramary has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 06:51 PM

Dear Tabby I hope you get sorted soon, I can't believe the service you've had. Can you get hold of the e-mail address of the Chief Exc? My son once sent an irate e-mail to a Chief Exc and boy did things move! It wasn't BC but some other company.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top