Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2014, 07:10 PM

Fed-Up

I'm totally fed-up with work.

It's really beginning to get me down now.

I've actually calculated just how many working weeks I've got left before I reach State Pension Age in 2016 and I'm counting those weeks down now.

When I'm not at work those days, (or weeks), are not in my total 'cos they're MY days or weeks, not my employer and, daft as it may seem, NOT counting them makes me feel better.

My State Pension Forecast last year told me that I'd get £668 per month but as I'm still working it'll be a bit more they said - possibly up to £34 more and that's without any other changes that may happen.

To me that works out to just £48 less than I'm earning now with my part-time job.

Of course my petrol costs to and from work account for about £65 per month on today's rates so I won't have to buy that extra petrol so I'll actually be getting almost the same disposable income then that I am now, maybe even slightly more with my OP increasing by a minimum figure, which I can't remember at this moment plus my tax coding will change three more times before I get to 65.

I can't wait - I really cannot wait but I know I have to - it's b***dy torture now! stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2014, 07:30 PM

Re: Fed-Up

Sorry to hear you're not happy at work Steve - is it 2 years more to go or less, before you are free .....
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2014, 09:04 PM

Steve, retiring was the best career move that I made. I'm looking forward to my state pension next year. It will be on the old scheme and since I was 'contracted out' , it will only be the basic pension less tax, but I'll take every penny I can get! It will pay for a decent holiday and a few drinks.

As anyone will tell you, you'll probably be so busy, you'll wonder how you found time to work!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2014, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Steve, retiring was the best career move that I made. I'm looking forward to my state pension next year. It will be on the old scheme and since I was 'contracted out' , it will only be the basic pension less tax, but I'll take every penny I can get! It will pay for a decent holiday and a few drinks.

As anyone will tell you, you'll probably be so busy, you'll wonder how you found time to work!
Absolutely! I retired at 60 but wish I had made the move earlier, I could have retired as early as 55 but without the taxfree status of retiring at 60.

Retirement means you not only have the money but you have the time to do exactly what you want. It is the combination missing at any other time in your life.

I have to thank Paul Keating (the world's greatest treasurer) and Peter Costello for their foresight in creating compulsory superannuation, salary sacrifice and making the income tax free. Whether the current mob of no hopers will continue their good work is a moot point.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2014, 10:50 PM

Bruce, I "retired" at 56 and initially I found it strange to be able to set my own agenda and do what I wanted, when I wanted. Now, although I miss the salary every month, I don't miss getting up for work.

I've learned many skills since stopping work - building stone walls, a bit of joinery, slating a roof - even how to keep pigs. A change for someone who spent his life in I.T.

Steve - the world awaits you. Don't keep it waiting.
Jazziwoz
Lincs, UK
Jazziwoz is female 

15-01-2014, 11:12 PM

I have recently been told I will not get my statutory pension until 2026 - I will be working until I am 66 years old. I have no option but to work full time until then. I am a lone parent who opted to stay at home with the children as my husband at the time was in a good job; then went back to work part time so have paid reduced national insurance. Retirement seems a long way off and I just wonder how much of my retirement I will have the money time or energy to enjoy.......
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2014, 11:41 PM

[QUOTE=Grumblewagon;402964]Steve, retiring was the best career move that I made. I'm looking forward to my state pension next year. It will be on the old scheme and since I was 'contracted out' , it will only be the basic pension less tax, but I'll take every penny I can get! It will pay for a decent holiday and a few drinks.

As anyone will tell you, you'll probably be so busy, you'll wonder how you found time to work![/QUOTE]

That's absolutely right Grumblewagon.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Bruce, I "retired" at 56 and initially I found it strange to be able to set my own agenda and do what I wanted, when I wanted. Now, although I miss the salary every month, I don't miss getting up for work.
Why the inverted commas? Was retirement not your preferred option? or a euphemism for unemployed? Just curious.

My retirement was entirely my own choice I decided that adding any more to my superannuation was pointless and while I enjoyed the social aspects of my work I no longer found it as enjoyable or challenging as I found it even ten years before.

For the first 5 years I was a totally self funded retiree but for the last 18 months I also receive a part pension from the federal government (its means tested hence I don't get the full whack) but with it comes all the pensioner advantages of things like free car rego, discounted rates, power, phone and water bills.

Since I retired I have been able to travel for several months of the year both within Australia and overseas as well as take any number of shorter trips lasting for a few days up to a week. I teach seniors computers, am secretary of my local seniors club, treasurer of a seniors organisation area council and on an advisory panel for the local city council.

As you observed it is hard to fit everything in once you have retired but ain't life fun? I certainly don't subscribe to the work until you drop philosophy.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jazziwoz ->
I have recently been told I will not get my statutory pension until 2026 - I will be working until I am 66 years old. I have no option but to work full time until then. I am a lone parent who opted to stay at home with the children as my husband at the time was in a good job; then went back to work part time so have paid reduced national insurance. Retirement seems a long way off and I just wonder how much of my retirement I will have the money time or energy to enjoy.......
I know that feeling Jazzi, and add to that neither of us will make it to 66 we pretty much know we will either end up claiming sick pay or disability if there is any left after the cuts or just dead at work. Really quite depressing.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 09:32 AM

Just hang in there Steve, the rewards at the end of it are well worth it, you'll see for yourself soon enough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top