Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 02:22 PM

Re: Fed-Up

Steve matey, being older than you, I reached that magic 65 years old last November. Being cheeky, (places thumb on end of nose and waggles fingers) Nah, nah, nah, nah nah. - Only kidding matey!!!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 06:00 PM

Bruce, the "commas" are simply my way of indicating that :

1. I hadn't reached state retirement age, but chose to give up work and live on my main occupational pension and returns on investments.

2. the irony that having given up paid employment, I was busier than ever.

I certainly don't subscribe to the work until you drop philosophy either.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2014, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I certainly don't subscribe to the work until you drop philosophy either.
Exactly how I feel GW!

I was earning my own money from the age of 12 doing paper rounds and weekends on a milk float and by the time I was 14 I was doing 3 paper rounds, working on street markets or later doing Friday nights and all day on Saturdays with a Bakers.

When I left school and started work, at first I actually had less money so I went back to paper rounds, street markets at weekends to supplement my income then later I did a bit of roadie work with a well-connected mate so I've worked quite a long time now.

For me now it's the feeling that you are often not appreciated and there seems to be far less gratitude shown by employers for the work you do coupled with unreasonable expectations of what you can actually do in the hours you do at work.

The pressure that subsequently follows these days seems to be more towards you giving more and more of your time, often unpaid, simply because not only do employers tell you they can't afford to increase your meagre rate of pay but also that they cannot afford to pay overtime but you can have time-off in lieu, which doesn't help me at all!

Funny how upper management DO get pay rises though isn't it?

That's it for me, the feeling I'm just being used and I can't be the only one that feels this way.

132 Working weeks to go, and counting........... stevmk2
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2014, 07:35 PM

I think most of our generation did some kind of work at an early age Steve, I did a paper round before starting an apprenticeship at 14, so we did work for longer, some of them don't start now until they are nearly 20, old boys you could say.
I forgot to mention in my last post that they upped the retirement age for pension over here to 67 effective from the first of this month, they sneaked it into the budget last December, I hope they don't do that on you over there when yours is due.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I think most of our generation did some kind of work at an early age Steve, I did a paper round before starting an apprenticeship at 14, so we did work for longer, some of them don't start now until they are nearly 20, old boys you could say.
I forgot to mention in my last post that they upped the retirement age for pension over here to 67 effective from the first of this month, they sneaked it into the budget last December, I hope they don't do that on you over there when yours is due.
I'm keeping tabs on it Jem - just checked on an official Age UK site and it still says 2016 for me. stevmk2

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top